Residence visa and taxes

What requirements and documents are needed to get Residence status in Romania as a US citizen retiree ? Also have heard different answers to being taxed on SS.  Is it taxed or not taxed ? Would like to get the answer from someone living there that has first hand experience please.

Thank you very much,
Paul

You pay the IRS wherever you live and whatever your source of income.
I am a retiree living in RO. You must have European health insurance, a local doctors note certifying your health, a lease on a residence, and a work or volunteer contract. You'll only get a one-year permit.

Sorry , I did not formulate my question clear enough , my bad. We can not escape IRS as US Citizens regardless where we live but it was taxes to Romania I meant to ask if you had to pay ? 2nd Question was what documents was needed to live as a retiree in Romania  on a long term Visa what ever that Visa is called ? One year at a time for a few years or how does that work? Sorry about the confusion before; hope this is more clear what I was trying to find out.

Thank You very much

Since I have no income in RO and live from my foreign bank account I pay no taxes here. The only way to get a longer term visa is to marry. They only give year by year at first, as far as I know. But if I keep my nose clean and as long as our countries are copasetic that shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, thank you. So the only way to be able to retire there long term is to marry. Wow I thought I have heard of different ways to do it but I guess  no sense chasing a dream of living in Romania then.

Thank you very much

Why not one year at a time? That's what I'm doing. I see no problem with it. Once here you may find other options. After a few years you can ask for a 5 year permit.

I hear you. It is amazing sometimes how things can open up when actually there and it is on my mind to just go and see what happens. Hopefully you be willing to give me some Ideas when I get there if you don't mind ? Might have some more questions before going there if ok with you ?

Thanks

Why here? Where specifically? What's your background? What cam you offer in the way of skills, education, experience, or interest that can help you get a volunteer contract? That could include a church affiliation, as there are missionary groups you could hook up with.

JohnnyStLouis wrote:

You pay the IRS wherever you live and whatever your source of income.

It depends on what country you live in some countries have a special treaty so you are not taxed twice.

USA has a tax treaty with Romania so you will not pay income tax twice. Additionally most expats qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion which is $104,100 for 2018.

That was my understanding also but did not find confirmation on it. Thank you very much for that info. that settles a nagging question I was looking to get an answer to.
Now all I need is the magical path to become a legal resident so I can live there. Got some very interesting suggestions but are always looking for more advice.

Thanks again

To reiterate, the biggest stumbling block, assuming your pension is $2000+, is having a documented reason to be here. Because, as I found out, simply thinking its a cool place to while away a few years doesn't cut it.
You haven't mentioned your skills/experience/interests. I might be able to offer some guidance.
Because of previous relationships here, I was able to get a part-time gig as an English conversation tutor in a local school, leaving me ample free time. d that peters out I have a rapport with the director of the local county library and several other local NGOs.

OK, I will send you some skills I hope can be helpful but first I was trying to find out about taxes which I just found out should be no problem and how much you have to document as steady income (pension) is the other important question I need answered ? You mentioned $2000 , is that the amount that is required or needed ?
Thank you

I was asked absolutely no financial information, but I'd recommend a couple thousand to be comfortable. For the time being all my resources remain stateside and I live on my debit card with a self-defined monthly allowance that is more than I need, allowing me to grow a modest local bank account.
My next major step is cancelling my federal health insurance and upgrading my local policy.

How much you need to live in Romania one person ? $2000 a month is what you NEED? How much does the health insurance cost a month that you have to have ? WOW, I am bombarding you with questions but important to know .

Thanks again

Feel a kind of odd talking about my skills and things of that nature on a public forum; Is that something we can do in a more private way ? Hope you understand my concern ?
Thank you

I see this is an old topic so you may already know this. You may open a business (called an SRL) with NO financial activity, you only pay an accountant 100 euro per year to report to government that your business income is 0. This is how my family stays in the country. It must be filed through an attorney but the cost is not that high.