Bringing a car from US to France

When I first came to Europe in 2013 I compared the price of new Nissan Juke in US with what I could buy it for in Europe I was totally shocked. 40% difference considering Euro to Dollar conversion.  I ended up buying it in Europe when I was in a hurry, but now I am thinking about buying a car in US.  I can leave it there for 6 months to make it a "used car" and therefore pay no tax on it when it gets here.  Does anyone know, if it needs to be modified to meet European standards?  Is it doable?

Although the vehicle you are talking about exists here in France, it is absolutely not profitable to bring a car from the USA. Because probate / administrative costs are very high. This is only valid for an oldtimer.

Here is the approval process:

1: Request the certificate of non-compliance. It is a document that is asked to the manufacturer of your American car, which allows to attest that the vehicle is not in conformity with the European standards in force.

2: UTAC tests, from the name of the organization that carries out the tests. These tests are intended to verify that your vehicle meets the standards in force: braking, noise, pollution, field of vision, weight, etc.

n ° 3: Francization and transition to DRIEE. This is commonly known as the "mine gateway". Your vehicle must be the subject of an Isolated Title Receipt (or RTI). To do this, you must undertake work to bring your vehicle up to standard, to make it compliant with the French Highway Code, especially regarding lighting, seat belts, glazing, as well as the edge elements. The identity of the vehicle must also be attested by the affixing of a manufacturer's plate as well as by the engraving of the chassis.

All these modifications will be verified by the inspectors of the DRIEE (in the Paris region) or the DREAL (in the provinces).

Note: an American car under 6 months can not be presented to DREAL (this law is established to protect the French automotive industry ...).

It will cost you at least 25% of your buying price.

The only small existing possibility is to see Germany in order to buy an American car transformed for Europe.

Wow, I thought French are protecting their turf, but did not realize to which level until I read in black and white in your message. Thank you!

Question:- You mentioned at the end that Germany possibly could order an American car converted for European roads. Is it only an American car or any car?
Have you heard of any dealer in US ordering a car specifically designed for Europe and shipped directly to Europe?

If you have the details of the vehicle ...you can contact them to ask them if any modifications are required.  I used to help a French fellow purchase a second hand subaru in UK to bring over...  he always checked by phone...and if no changes were required, he would purchase it:)

Hi there,

Here is a link on the topic of importing a car purchased outside of the EU. When I moved back to France, I looked into it and gave up.... I am very sorry I did now because my car was a 911SC  and now it is worth A LOT of money!!!!

https://www.lesfurets.com/assurance-aut … ors-europe

Where in France did you settle?

Cheers,

Couldn't you just buy a car in Italy, Germany, or Spain and bring it back to France - preferably a European car? A friend did the opposite. He went to Germany and bought a used Mercedes and shipped it to California which has some of the strictest rules, and had it modified for California law. This was years ago, but he felt the used prices were better in the EU for that car.