Philippine International Driving Permit, honored in France?

Hi,

I'd like to know if there's anyone here who has taken an international driving permit issued by the Automobile Association of the Philippines? And is it really recognized by the French government? I've asked the embassy (thru email), but they did not really answer it. They just said that the driving license from the Philippines can be used for a certain period of time, but after that, I would need to change it to a French license.

I hope that someone will share his/her experience with this. Thanks.

R

Hi R,

I think you are allowed to convert the license within a year of your carte de sejour visa  issuance.

I try to convert the regular driving license that I got in the prefecture 2 years back(unless they change the rule now?) but unfortunately they didn't accept it as I am in the 2nd year already of my carte de sejour visa.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Nice

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. I also read somewhere that I have to convert it before my first year in france ends. But since I wasn't sure about this, I have decided to just get the international permit (though valid only for 1 year), so at least if I go somewhere else (where it is accepted), i can drive there.

Thanks again for responding to my query :)

R

Hi,

Your licence (national or international) is recognized in France for 1 year from the acquisition of your normal residence in France.

Holder of a first residence card --> 1 year from the date your card is handed over

Holder of a long-stay visa worth a residence permit --> 1 year from the date of the visa's validation by Ofii (vignette on your passport)

Holder of a receipt recognizing the recognition of international protection (Ofpra) --> 1 year from the date of the receipt's start of validity, recognizing international protection

Exchange of the foreign license against a French license
- Before the end of the period of recognition of your license, you must request the exchange of your foreign license against a French license to continue driving in France.
- The country of issue of your license must practice reciprocal exchange of driving licenses with France.
- If you do not request the exchange on time or if your license is not exchangeable, you can not drive in France with your foreign license. You must pass the examination of the French driving license (theoretical test and practical test). If successful, the permit issued is a probationary license.