Comfortable salary for a single parent.

Hello,

I am offered a position in Cairo. The salary is $2000. I will be relocating with my 8 year old kid from the USA. Accommodation allowance is 5000 Egyptian currency. Do you think it's a comfortable salary? What would be the cost of an international school there? What is the cost and standard of a regular school there as well? I truly want to avail this opportunity, but need some input.

Thanks a bunch!

Best regards!
Ajer 🙏

In my opnion if your salar is goiong to be 2000$ it will be good to good life here not too much if you were going to make your kid enter international school but it will be suitable

i agree with mr Mahmoud

Thank you very much! How much is the schooling cost there? Any idea?

You'll have to contact the school (via email), to get more detailed information.

International schools are costy (especially for foriegners).

Excert much effort in this search, have a great deal of suspecion, the less people you trust the more successful you'll be.

International schools are too expensive in cairo,sometimes it will coast 5000 dollars for the semister and there is 3 semisters for every year,but not all the international schools are coast that amount of money ,you should ask first and search for international schools and email them to know how much they will coast, best regards

Thank you all for your feedback. I am planning to contact the schools this week. Which schools would you suggest?

I think you should start with schools near to your living area zone in cairo,for expats they prefer maadii and rehab,i live close to rehab and ican say that there is a plenty of international and american schools in new cairo zone

🙏

$ 5000 per semester and $ 15000 per year is ridiculous.  This is what I pay for my son in a private high school in the US. I was also considering returning back to Egypt but this is cost prohibitive.  How much is college then?

Depending on where you decide to reside but I would say the $5000 would pay your monthly rent for a furnished apartment located near one of the american/international private schools. That leaves you with $2k to pay for school tuition, food, and transportation. Honestly, I would say you will be living paycheck to paycheck.

You might want to renegotiated the salary or rethink the international school idea.

There are good private schools that are affordable. Your child will have a better chance of learning Arabic at school and English at home with you, TV, english class at school or private lessons, in my opinion much better route than paying thousands of dollars to american school in Cairo but again only you know what's best for your child