Salary for tutoring English to Egyptian kids??

Hello All,
I'm a native British citizen living in Cairo for 3 years.. I would to privately teach English to kids in their homes - belonging to what I guess you would call "upper class" families, children aged 6 and below
I have no idea what kind of salary I should be requesting here and don't want to look either too greedy nor too attainable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Another option in the pipeline is to do something similar in an international nursery - Can anyone tell me the average salary for that as well please?

It depends what qualifications you have if you want to work in English speaking nurseries. Usually once they hear you're native they'll recruit. I got many calls from such nurseries however the salaries were not appealing especially for us living as a family with kids. It'll be wise to check Reed website for work & get a good package. I've noticed in the past few months they've advertised Kindergarten work etc.

As for private, I'm an English teacher myself and I've worked around Cairo in different schools then thought to work private as it worked out better. If you live in Nasr City, you're looking at between 100-200LE per hour. You should never settle for less. It is known to Egyptian families, who want a private English native speaking tutor, to pay no less than 100LE. In other areas outside it can go up to 250-300LE per hour.

Hope that helps.

No, that's really helpful information. Thanks a lot! Well, I was thinking about 200 le in general because I didn't know it varied depending on the area... I prefer to work in Maadi but Nasr city is also a very do-able option. Do you think it could be possibly more in Maadi?

You're welcome. Definitely more in Maadi. I remember hearing about an expat a little less than a year ago who got 200LE per hour. I guess the fees must've gone up now.

I guess I should move to Maadi.   I get 50 pounds with complaints is to much.  One lady brings her two daughters 6 and 11 and gives me ten pounds and her husband is a doctor and they own buildings but when I told her 50 not ten she said two much so when they came with no call the third time    first I told her I was going out then she said no my children are first I nicely told her I would do it for 50 an hour for both she said my mother owns the building so I said fine get her to pay that was it she never came again.  But do have several I teach fir free.

Wow! After reading a few comments here. I want to move to Cairo. The tutoring job opportunities is not a waste of time in Egypt. Teaching in a private school for Asians are different from other nationalities. I think I want to try something else. Thank you, Expat. I would love to try luck in Cairo.

Stephanie,

stephanietucker wrote:

Wow! After reading a few comments here. I want to move to Cairo. The tutoring job opportunities is not a waste of time in Egypt. Teaching in a private school for Asians are different from other nationalities. I think I want to try something else. Thank you, Expat. I would love to try luck in Cairo.

To be fair it's not the best opportunity, though. You can earn way much more in China for instance.

I could not agree more. I did realize the value of teaching when I was a student. There are differences in teaching Americans, Europeans, Asians, and others.

that's your fault lady . if you wanna collect 100L.E per hour then you gotta to start  with 500 hundred which will descend automatically during bargaining to the 100 you are targeting at the early beginning  ,
we love to negotiate may be it gives us the missing victorious feeling   :D

My friend please remember it is 100 egyptian (5 GBP) pounds per hour. Think about it really hard. This is education on cheap.
Most of the things I buy in Egypt are comparable to prices to abroad. Why can,t education be priced at the similar costs, which is or can be more beneficial to the children's future.