Cooking like a local in Saudi Arabia

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in Saudi Arabia.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Saudi Arabia? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Saudi Arabia?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?
....................Kabsa and Mandi

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in Saudi Arabia? Where can you purchase them?
.....................Lolzz only salt and u can purchase from any where

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?
..................... Yes this for Laham Kabsa need expert cook

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?
.................. Not Local

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in Saudi Arabia?
............. Advantage is only that this Saudi foods are not famous in our country but when I start such type of Saudi dishes so I become more success to give new taste to our nation.

Thank you for sharing your experience.
cheer up dear  and smile

Well saudi arabia has many different types of food..

Mainly they focus on Meat, and prepare the usually dish called Kabsa or Mandi!

Its like very easy for them to prepare!

rest about the cooking like them i dont prefer at all coz i love my indian dishes

Thanks

Follow my cooking here: https://www.instagram.com/tubal_cain_17/?hl=en

See me n Tubal Cain Homecooking in Facebook! All you need is passion and love for cooking. Everything else will follow

Hi Priscilla

hope your doing fine, you can buy the ingredients from any supermarket like panda but main thing is the making dishes with perfection need always a mentor. i know some but can't write all the recipes.

I make some dishes with arabic spices and good in taste. like Bukhari rice with chicken or mutton.
Mandi with goat meat. My mom make mahshi very good. 

one thing you can do to start cooking take ready made spices brand name  Esnad (www.esnadfoods.com/about_us/1) easy to find in any superstore or nearest shop in your area.

To learn the recipes use YOUTUBE and fatafeat channel some good chefs are doing program on daily basis. if you are living in jeddah always get recipes from your neighbors if you can speak arabic good and these days arabic women speak english very good.

in any assistance add me in your whats up **I will guide you.

regards
Imran

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Kabsa and Mandi are the two which do require less effort and easy to cook without much ingrdients. They also resemble the Indian cusine,And also easy on my stomach.

Moderated by Christine 2 hours ago
Reason : Please avoid your contact details on the forum. Thank you :D:dumbom:

Well there are a lot of dishes in Saudi Arabia like kafsa dajaj(rice chicken), kafsa Lahm( rice with mutton), khums and much more,there are a number of restaurants offering varieties of food including local and international,one of the best quality of food is their freshness and cheap prices almost in reach of everyone.

Hi,

Are you giving a class or what?

Hi,

I am Expat since 2005 and a cooking enthusiast, i love to cook and create doshes during my free time here in KSA, which obviously is a lot besides work.

I am not having local dishes very often, only during invites or events.

I like the big plate with rice and lam, thats by far my favorite traditional arab dish 👍👍👍 delicious...

I am almost 4 years finished in saudi arabia. My homely food from my mom is the only thing can  cover my satisfaction. Here I use local foods eat ver rare in a month but remaining whole days I cook alone. Life is not smooth in this country.

Hi all....

I am from India.... it was very easy to prepare our cultural dishes in KSA...
All the ingredients available at the local market.

Can prepare dishes like Biryani, Pulao, Khorma, Dal, Rasam, Egg Curry, Chapati, Parata, Idly, Dosa, Vada.. Any thing you like in KSA... You just have to try it.

Thank you Priscilla
I'm living in Saudi for past one month
Here the local food mostly involves meat and chicken
I prefer vegetarian and cook in Indian style
I am learning Arabic cooking by attending weekend classes

Brother Khabsa and Mandi are not saudi arabian dishes. Those are Yemeni dishes and come from Hadramoth. Please dont spread false information.

Hello,

I apologise i dont have any idea about cooking i never cook food in my whole life

cooking in Saudi arabia depends on the area which are you going there in Makkah only itself has more than 40 kind of rice and many tipes of kebab like miro kebab abd diferent kind of sweats so where are you going

Firstly, I like food  generally specially our Egyptian traditional  dishes such as koshary & kebab , molokhia and falafel. When i was single i was eating from outside restaurants  because i'm not patient  and not enjoy to cook and prepare my food in spite of i cooking well.
but after bring my wife she prepare and cook our lovely Egyptian dishes at home , also i like Saudi dishes like mandi and kabsa in addition, Hindi dishes like saloona.

This is an interesting topic. However, since I'm single, and often too lazy to cook,  could anyone suggest me good local restaurants around Dhahran / Dammam / Khobar area? I have lived here for like a year, and I am kind of bored of eating Shawarma ..  (and burger...)

Thank you.