Expat Hiring banned in Oman for certain sectors - 2018

Hello there,

I realise that the Oman Govt has banned private sector companies from hiring expats for the next 6 months in certain sectors.

I am a Chemical Engineer from India and have recently accepted a decent job offer from a European firm in Oman, 2 months back.

In the list of the Engineering job profiles which have been banned from hiring expats,  chemical engineering is not mentioned. But will there be a problem in getting the required clearance because of this expat ban.

I am kind of worried as my Company HR is saying that the Labour Clearance is being processed and is being looked into. It's been more than 2 months now and I also resigned from my job because of this. 

Any inputs regarding the same would be of great help.

Thanks in Advance,

With warm regards,
Richard Mathew.

Hi richardmathew_,

Resigning from your job is a very unwise thing to do. Until and unless you see the employment visa in your name and bearing your passport number you should not have resigned.

Many posts are in the forum on the same subject. Reading them would have given you the much-needed wisdom not to resign from your job. Now all you can do is hope and pray that your labour clearance comes through soon and you get your employment visa.

Hi Mr.Sumitran,

Thank you for the response !!

I feel I've done a grave mistake by actually resigning. But there's no option left now but to wait.

I just hope and pray things get sorted out ASAP.
Fingers crossed.

Regards,
Richard Mathew.

Hi Richard,
You have mentioned rightly that chemical engineers are not among the banned categories. In fact we are trying to hire chemical engineers instead of mechanical engineers wherever they fit to our requirements. In case your emoloyer is delaying your visa, it not not because of this ban. May be they donot have the required visa slot blocked in the labor ministry for the position they are hiring you. In that case they will require clearance from ministry. Still 2 months time is too long for this. You should better clarify with them.

Thanks
Suyash

Hi Suyash,

Thanks for the info !!

I'll try to talk to the HR and get clarification on the same. Hopeful that this gets sorted soon.

Regards,
Richard Mathew.

Chemical Engineers (Process systems) are among a demanding category in Oman. On a positive note, your employer (if Its an A grade company) shouldn't be having such issues in getting clearance, however, as per the current scenarios, the immigration may delay releasing the clearance in order to justify the omanization quota.

Hello Schaz,

I spoke to the company's HR regarding this today. He said that they are facing problems in getting clearance because of the new Omanisation rules.. and now because of the ban, no private firms are allowed to hire expats now. He said that i'll have to wait longer and that he cannot cannot confirm any time duration for the same.  I am really in a fix now as what to do. I have already wasted 4 months now. All my certificates are with them plus I resigned too. They suggested that I should take up some temporary job till my Visa arrives. Is it worth the wait ?????

Regards,
Richard M.

Hello Richard Matthew,

As frustrating as it no doubt may be, two months of waiting is a doodle, a virtual 'walk in the park'  in the normal scheme of things in Oman. Even while waiting for an agreed renewal of a contract I have waited from four to five months without pay.

One can expect a lot of time to pass in order for workplaces and ministries to adequately communicate with each other and finally to you. Upon returning to Oman, the plot grows even thicker as one may then be asked to leave the country again, at one's own cost, in order for the final details of the visa to be completed. The usual quoted time is just one night but the reality is far different, so expect anything from two weeks to a month.

It is extremely frustrating and economically debilitating on the accepted candidate , however one has to keep in mind that your sponsor might be caught in various tugs of war and must proceed as gracefully and agreeably as possible. She or he may have to overlook officials' salient lack of work attendance without complaint.

If you can get gainful employment during the wait, this would be greatly helpful.

All the very best,
Fiona

m really in a fix now as what to do. I have already wasted 4 months now. All my certificates are with them plus I resigned too. They suggested that I should take up some temporary job till my Visa arrives. Is it worth the wait ?????

The biggest mistake that you have done is resigning from your current job.
Indeed, due to the current scenarios, there's an immense risk of the visa rejection because of the ministry rules over Omanization. On a positive note, since your field is technically critical, I hope the visa clearance should be available. It will depend on your employer how smart they are to obtain in due course of time. My suggestion is to keep a follow-up and as they have said, try to enrol yourself with a temporary job.

Best of luck.

Hang in there @richardmathew_, I am also caught up in the dreaded waiting game - though I did not resign yet.

I hope that the firm that's hiring you has good rapport and has sufficient Labor Clearance. I am still trying to get a feel of the whole process, but I think the biggest challenge would be to get the Labor Clearance, after which the visa issuance will be much faster. Please do keep us updated on any progress!

Hi,

So, around 3 months of waiting for the clearance is not that bad? I'm in the same boat. Does it take longer for the government institutions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.