Free and low-cost leisure activities in Canada

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Canada. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Canada, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Canada?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi everybody,Please visit meetup.com This is socializing,free of charge WEB-site. There are many groups,where people, having similar interests,meet each other. They can visit museums,bars,stadiums,have outdoor activity - hiking,biking etc. Good luck !

Hello Priscilla,
Canada is, in general, an expensive place to live.  However, depending on where you live, there are lots of free or very inexpensive things to do.

When I lived in Vancouver year ago, I thoroughly enjoyed taking a walk along the seawall in Stanley Park.There are many places to sit and enjoy the beauty while eating a homemade, “bag” lunch.  Granville Island is a wonderful place to explore - art galleries, very unique products and services that you wouldn't see elsewhere, and there are usually buskers to entertain you, as well.

When I lived in London, Ontario, I frequently took “day trips” to surrounding villages and towns, each with a unique culture or attraction.  For example, the village of Sparta is known for the internationally known, local artist, Peter Robson who has his own gallery in the village. I also really enjoyed St. Jacobs, a town with a strict Mennonite Village - there are museums related to Mennonite history and you can still see the Mennonites driving a horse and buggy down the street.  The town also has an amazing artisan culture - all of the high quality wares are housed in a silo, which is very quaint.  In this region of Ontario, there are some lovely beaches (for Canada!), as well.

Now, I live in Alberta.  The free events usually revolve around the great outdoors - hiking, snow shoeing, cross-country skiing, skating, and a few of the summer festivals are free.  Notably, Kanansikis Lodge is an amazing place.  You can bring a picnic and enjoy it by the huge fireplace, or you can buy lunch.  They offer free skating (pond or rink), cross-country skiing, and snow shoeing, as well. For those that don't have their own equipment, they offer rentals.  The views at this lodge are breathtaking!

Canada is a big place, so there will always be the expense of transportation. However, if you bring your own lunch, the cost can be minimal.  Secondly, many people buy their sports equipment used on kijiji or in stores that specialize in used equipment - the equipment is often in “new” condition.  So...there are certainly ways to keep the costs down.

If you're visiting Canada, be sure and take home lots of photos...and great memories.

Warm regards,
Christal Reed