Register as partner/married

Hi, I'm from Mauritius and my fiancée is a dutch citizen. We've been together for more than year now and we are planning to register as partner in Amsterdam. I have spent the past 3 months at her house and tried to get a job there which came out very difficult. As I'm heading to Miami for work for the next 6 months we are planning to get married if needed next year at my return but want to have more information regarding the partners registration. If we registered as partners will I be aloud to work? Do I have to go through the dutch test? Grateful to give mw some advice. 😉

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

At the top of the page is a link to our Handy Tools section, within which are our expat guides; these contain information that may be useful in planning your journey.

With regards to your post.  I think you may be confusing the meaning of the word "partner" in relation to the Dutch immigration rules.  The requirement is a "registered partner", for which I don't think you'd qualify.  However, there is a way around this; known as a "Long-term and exclusive relationship"; this is defined by IND as "​A relationship is long-term and exclusive if the relationship can be considered a marriage. You can show this among other things by filling out a relationship declaration. In the relationship declaration, you and your partner declare that you are going to live together in the Netherlands. You are going to run a joint household. You also declare that you have an exclusive relationship with each other".

If you follow this link, it will take you to the relevant part of the IND website that deals with this; at the bottom is a step by step guide that takes you through the process.

To answer your specific questions:

Once you have been accepted, you'll be allowed to work in Holland; whether you'll get a job is, of course, another matter.

You will have to go through the "integration process" (the Dutch test); learning Dutch will definitely enhance your chances of getting work.

Once you've read our guides, if you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi, thank you very much. The informations you gave was very helpful. Just one more question, so to do this registration of long term relationship do I have to be there in person or can I send all my documents to my fiancée. Another question will it be better to do the process in the Netherlands or in my country?

Hi,

You can only do the integration outside Holland (at the Dutch embassy/consulate in your country).

If your fiancée is in Holland, it's probably better that she contacts the IND herself and have a chat with them on the best way through this.  Their contact information can be found at this link.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
Happy new year to you guys.
So my fiancée is planning to move out of Holland to g to soutj of France. She wants to live and work there, do you know maybe how does it works if we want to get married there? What are the requirements?

If you mean by "there" south France, I recommend to check out the French forum for better assistance.