Starting job without bsn

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to the Netherlands for work and last week I registered to my municipality and I am waiting for my bsn number to arrive. The problem is that there is a delay in receiving it this period and my job were to start in a few days. The hr department hadn't dealt with a relocation before and as do not have the bsn number yet my job contact postponed for a week to give me some time more to receive it. Does anybody know if there is a way to start working without a bsn number-somewhere I read it is possible though the tax will be more- as it might take some time more?

Thanks a lot 🙏
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've heard that it's possible if your employer is willing to go through the hassle; basically, it's entirely up to your employer. It causes extra work for them and for this reason many just won't do it.

There is certainly nothing that says they have to.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
It does depend on the specific gemeente you're dealing with, but it usually only takes a day or two to receive it in the mail so you've probably already received it.

For anyone else reading this who may need their BSN immediately and can't wait for the letter, call the IND and ask them; it automatically populates to their system as soon as the gemeente submit your application and they have no issue providing it.

Hello everyone

I am heading to Rotterdam in few weeks time and the intention is to find a job while I am there.

I hold a EU passport, however I am struggling to understand whether I should start the process from here or once I am there I have to just show up to the local municipality?

Please help! Thank you all in advance

Hello everyone
I am heading to Rotterdam in few weeks time and the intention is to find a job while I am there.
I hold a EU passport, however I am struggling to understand whether I should start the process from here or once I am there I have to just show up to the local municipality?
Please help! Thank you all in advance
-@Angelo Iliceto

If you just turn up at the Gemeente you'll almost certainly be turned away; you have 5 days to contact them and make an appointment to register, it may well take a lot longer than that to physically get your appointment.  My advice is to make sure you bring enough money to last you until you get registered and sort out your BSN number, digiD, bank account, register at a doctor etc.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi, I am relocating from India with a job offer in NL. I have 2 questions on the 30% ruling and the BSN.

My BSN appt is 7 weeks after my start date with the company (that's the earliest they could find). How would my income be taxed if I start working as per plan - without BSN and without 30% ruling ? Will I taxed differently? Once the BSN and 30% ruling comes through, how would everything change?

Hi, I am relocating from India with a job offer in NL. I have 2 questions on the 30% ruling and the BSN.
My BSN appt is 7 weeks after my start date with the company (that's the earliest they could find). How would my income be taxed if I start working as per plan - without BSN and without 30% ruling ? Will I taxed differently? Once the BSN and 30% ruling comes through, how would everything change?
-@Lizzie Alex

It can be done; what happens is that they put you on the maximum tax band until the end of the tax year (31 Dec); by then you'll have your BSN and the Belastingdienst will be able to set your tax at the appropriate rate and sort out how much refund is necessary.  The 30% ruling is actually granted to your employer, not you, so should not be affected; my advice is to speak to them and see what if anything they have to say on the matter.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi

I am starting to work from 1st of February. My BSN appointment is scheduled for 6th of February. Is it possible to start to work and deliver BSN until first salary - 24.02.?

Thank you in advance...

Hi
I am starting to work from 1st of February. My BSN appointment is scheduled for 6th of February. Is it possible to start to work and deliver BSN until first salary - 24.02.?

Thank you in advance...
-@mateadrazic92

Yes, it's possible, just make sure your new employer knows.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

I heard about seasonal work in the Netherlands and I wanted to apply for travel, but I did not know how to travel and with whom to communicate among the employers to send me the work contract

@Cynic Thank you for the fast response!

Hi

I just had an appointment at municipality in The Hague. I will receive my bsn in two weeks  by post, and HR require BSN till 15th of month, so that will be next week.

Is there anything on anywhere I can ask additionally to get the BSN quicker?

Thank you in advance