Traffic in Belize

Hello everyone,

Which city or area do you live in in Belize, and how do you find the traffic?

How long does it take to commute to work or run errands?

Is there a rush hour in your city? What times of the day would you recommend people to avoid driving if they can?

Are there any ways to avoid spending too much time in traffic in Belize?

What is parking availability and cost like?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

LOL

We're on Caye Caulker and one of the reasons  we moved here is the Total LACK of traffic, and therefore traffic problems. With only 3 main roads and no cars (a couple delivery trucks) there are No traffic problems...unless you consider the person in front of you is not walking fast enough a traffic problem!

I think better questions would be is the road paved? If not, has it been graded recently? Is the road marked? Are the sleeping policemen marked? Will you have to hand crank the ferry yourself?  ;)

These are generic questions put out to all expat forums from time to time. Most are assuming expats  are in more western countries, not often are the questions pertinent to Belize.  Personally I find the traffic after I drive down the mile or so of unpaved track from my property to the main Highway, takes about 8 to 20 minutes depending on weather  how much punishment I thing the truck can take, and random vehicles entering or turning near the school.  Hey presto that is where the traffic is.

It currently takes about twenty minutes to drive three miles from Sittee Point to Hopkins.

The 12 mile monkey River road now takes about an hour. It's because of deep water, deep holes, and massive mud bogs, though.

What Traffic ? i have never seen or been in a traffic jam in Belize, plus as far as i know we only have 1 traffic light, and that is in Belize City. Parking is usually free, but when charged its about 1 Belize Dollar per hour or 5 Belize Dollar a day .

They recently added traffic  lights to the  comercial end of Forrest drive in Belmopan it is causing many problems, some  visitors expect  to do a free right turn on red, it is neither signed as OK nor not OK but it  is  deffinately not expected by traffic on the main road.  The local and visiting drivers have only just learned how to use  all the new the roundabouts that have gone on over the last few years.   Also  I believe there are 2  possibly 3 sets of lights in Belize city now.

I am new to the forum, likely to land in BZ in 2018 April; found this question important.  But then answers made to laugh.  Nice folks, nice reading.  Keep up the humour.

We are considering moving to an area that is accessed by hand cranked ferry. Does anyone know what time the ferry runs? I'm doubting they are manned 24hrs.

The hand cranked ferries run when the guy turns up, Do not know which area you are talking about these ferries are not that uncommon and all over Belize

yes they are manned , they only run daylight hrs, some were attempted to be mechanized but did not pass.

So the hand cranked ferries in my neck of the woods are supposedly manned 24/7. That being said the little ferry is out for repairs for the next week or three.... maybe four. So at this point its faster to hop in a boat than it is to drive. However a very nice man by the name of "taxi" will take you across in his small boat but you can only fit a bike on the boat; definitely not transporting any cars. Oh and he'll gladly take beer as a form of payment  :)