Driving to Belize from Canada -helpful tips as to which route to take?

Hi All...
I am planning to drive to  Belize alone   from Toronto and spend 2-3 months to enjoy the weather, swim, get into shape
and relax. Thinking to stay in Placencia or Corozal. If any of you canucks could provide with me helpful tips as to which route to take, where to stop, what to avoid , what to bring , roughly estimate of living cost in aforementioned places and finding a beach front apartment to rent, I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.There are so many questions on my mind to ask, but  I'll keep it short for now.
Looking forward to hear from you guys....Thanks

Hello Eltuko and welcome to Expat.com :)

Hope that some members will be able to give you some tips soon.

Regards
KEnjee
Expat.com Team

Hi there, I live in Niagara Falls and am thinking about 3-6 month stay in belize....when are you planning on going??? maybe we can work something out about sharing expenses?

I sent you a private message.

Hello I was told it can be an intrusting drive make shore the car is in good working order the roads in Mexico are lits say a bad logging road would be better and you could  be looking at a good repair bill when you get there. There are a number of check points along the way . from your place down to Memphis ,Dailas,Brownsvill,by pass Mexico City on in to Belizes. I

Hi, I'm planning on driving down as well and may be caravanning with some other folks coming from California. I will use the route outlined by a gentleman who has driven down many times and could email it to you when I receive. Send me a message with your email address. When are you planning on driving down?

I have not personally made the drive, but my neighbor (Yoann) drove his RV from Montreal and would be a good source of information for your trip. E-mail me off-line and I will give you his e-mail address. Good luck.

Kferris,
Please have your friend send me that info at [email protected]'d really appreciate it. Thanks,

I too am debating driving from Texas to Belize...Kferris, if possible I would like to get some tips from your friend also. [email protected] THANKS!

Hi - I am in central Florida.  Have been to Belize a few times & know the country pretty well (all but far south).  Have flown previously but am now wanting to drive.  Flexible on depart date - anybody out there  interested in a small caravan?   Can anybody share a good route crossing the border in Texas?  Thanks .... Mike

Hello,
I have chatted with several expats down in Belize during our travels.  I also travel to Mexico City and Cancun several times a year for business.  My first advice is to not drive through Mexico to Belize.  This can be a very dangerous endeavor.  If you want to drive through - please get in touch with your Mexico Embassy and discuss which routes are deemed safe for travel.  Some areas in the North of Mexico are very remote and full of drug cartels with little to no law enforcement.  Law enforcement is also a problem as they routinely "shakedown" foreign travelers - which can quickly escalate to more than just handing over money.  Not just a rumor, but has happened 3 times to me and friends during pleasure and business trips - each time we had locals in the car and the officers didn't realize this until they approached the car.  At this point they know the gig is up and that they cannot BS their way to getting a cash payment for bogus fines - preying on foreigners lack of understanding Spanish.
Suggestions:
1 - check with embassy (US or Canadian) on safest routes and US/Mexican border crossings.
2 - plan where you will spend the nights and verify while en route. 
3 - have plenty of cash on hand and make sure your vehicle is in very good shape
4 - know where you can fill up - several areas of northern MX are vast and very few fueling spots
5 - hire local to ride with you - especially if you are not fluent in Spanish - can be invaluable!
6 - don't travel in flashy or luxurious vehicle - this will attract unwanted attention - the CA or US plates will attract enough attention in the rural parts anyway.

When I last checked - it was recommended to cross over in Western TX rather than in SE TX (which is closer to Belize) because of the drug cartels.  This has quieted down a bit since then, but still a major concern.  Don't want to freak you out, just be cautious and smart - and don't set yourself up to be a victim.  With that long of a drive - why not fly down and rent a car in Belize?
JR

Hi, my name is Kathy. Me, my sister and a friend just drove from California to Stann Creek Belize, We hade an older RV and a 2002 Santa Fe. We arrived at Sanctuary Belize on Christmas day. Oh, I also had my two dogs with me. It took us 10 days, but it took three days at the Mexican boarder. The holiday crowd was unbelievable. One of my dogs developed kennel cough and I had to visit a vet in Laredo Texas. This where we crossed. The route I used was from John Peal, from this blog. He drove around 750-800 miles a day which was too long for us with an RV. The route was excellent. we had only one incident with the local police. Not one of us speaks fluent Spanish and we ended up paying less than $40 US. We made only about 400 miles a day because some roads are bad, the lines for tolls and the speed bumps. I can try to add to John's route for less miles per day and let you know where we stayed etc. In any case it's worth it, getting here being in Belize is the prize!!!!

Hi,

I'm also considering the drive but have to buy my RV yet.  May I ask what size yours is?  My concern is whether it becomes more difficult with the larger vehicles?

Thanks,

Tracy

Last Update at the State Department is December 2014:  http://travel.state.gov/content/passpor … rning.html 

We were planning to drive in May 2015, but were able to get the cost of shipping down to exactly what it would cost us to drive.  I was looking forward to the adventure, but if the costs are the same, we could not justify the added risk.  Our Realtor used to make the drive 3 or 4 times a year but was recently shot at by drug cartels on a pretty major road and barely made it to Belize with his life and that of his daughter's and won't make the drive anymore. 

Many people make it through just fine, but there is a risk involved, so be careful out there!