What are the dos and don'ts of finding a job in Cyprus?

Hello everyone,

Where is the best place to start when looking for a job in Cyprus? Is it better to job-hunt by directly contacting the company of your interest, or should job-seekers rely on a recruitment agency, for example?

Are there any unique aspects that job-seekers should consider when preparing their CV/résumé and cover letter? Should a photo be included?

Do you have any tips on interview conduct in Cyprus? Are there any particulars, such as greetings or behavioural customs?

In you opinion, is knowledge of the local language or a regional language necessary to successfully apply for a job? What level of the language should job-seekers have mastered?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

are you an Indian?

I am trying to find opportunities in Cyprus. I am a young professional working in India and would like to speak with someone from India who has just moved there. Do you think you could get me in touch with some people?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Abhi

Hi Priscilla,

If you really want to move in Cyprus, make sure you get all the information on how to obtain a residence and work permit. Probably the best place to start is your country's embassy or consulate in Cyprus.
There is no magic formula to find a job. My advice for you is to plan a trip to Cyprus and stay as long as possible so you can have a face-to-face interview with a potential employer. You can search on google for jobs in Cyprus. You can apply directly to a company or contact a recruitment agency. I recommend both of them in order to maximize your chances. You can apply for any job that is related to your experience but you can find companies that are willing to teach you everything you need to know for a specific position and they do not require any experience.
The most dynamic market for jobs is in Limassol so probably it's the best location to start to look for a job. Start looking for a place where you can live, at least to have a good view on what to expect in term of prices. It's not the cheapest city to buy/rent properties.
Ideally is to have a CV with a picture and your CV must be tailored for the job requirements. Have a look on the job requirements and build your CV based on those requirements. You don't need to check all the requirements but make sure you cover at least half of them. A cover letter is strongly recommended. Do your best and personalize your CV and especially your cover letter for that specific job. Make sure you have the correct name of the contact person, correct job title and company.
There are is no special behavior for the interview. Be polite, confident, smile and be sincere. Make sure you do not lie. A potential employer is more likely to give you a chance if you don't have a specific skill but if they find out you lied about your experience/skills, your chances are ruined.
You can easily find a job if you speak English fluently. Of course, if you speak Greek your chances will increase. Still you can find a job quite easy only with English. If you speak other languages, don't be shy to mention them in your CV because the employers prefer the candidates that speak multiple languages.
You can search online for tips on how to build your CV/resume and cover letter, how to behave at a job interview, interview follow up and why not, how to negotiate your salary if you have an offer that is not convincing for you. The small details can make the difference if you get the job or not so make sure you did the best you could to get the job you want.

Good luck with your future plans.

Be aware its not easy for non-EU TCN to get a work permit in Cyprus... Local Nationals get preference/ priority for all jobs - then EU nationals..... then everyone else....  but thats the same in many EU countries --  we wish you good luck in your endeavour.

Is easy to find job for Russian in Cyprus?

Hi Ruoo7,

There are a lot of Russian people in Cyprus and quite a few Russian companies. Of course you can find a lot of jobs that require Russian language but of course it's related to your area of expertise. Just search for jobs in Cyprus and I'm sure you will find a lot of them that require Russian language.

Good luck finding a job.

lots of russian owned establishments and russian people here for sure

Finding Job in Cyprus is not too complicated, there are plenty sells related companies which are looking for other languages speaking people, even in the even you have Zero experience on that particular field, they might provide you training, plus many of them being you abroad, can set an interview with you on Skype or something like that, then, if they like you, they might bring you in Cyprus. Now what is all of this without an idea of where to start sending CV to? well, here are two fields for you to start with:
Shipping companies.
Forex  firms.