Occupation Permits - Things have now changed, watch out!

Stormtrooper wrote:

Number two, limit your friends. Everyone has some sort of agenda. I find the guys on this expat forum, for example, first-class dudes! Great guys and girls many of them and, those who i have not yet met, i'm sure they're great too!
If you are going to mix with 'locals'.... be quadruply careful. Don't ask why.. too long to explain. In one way or the other you'll suddenly discover they're ar*eholes disguised as humans. Of course, again, there are a few who are not (maybe 10%).

I little too rough on people there. My few is 90% are great good people, perhaps 10% or less are the bad apples. Generally, even with people I don't agree with (way too many war mongering right wingers in this world blinded by right wing agendas and right wing disguised as left wing agendas) but they are all geenrally good people and when push comes to shove, they will do the right thing.

That really hasn't been my experience at all. I've had many Mauritians bend over backwards to help me out, the guy on the street, the acquaintance, government workers. Sure, there's people who could benefit from some customer service training but that's true the world over. Everyone I've met has done the right thing by me, not something I can say about some of the other countries I've been to.

musheer wrote:

The Mauritian Govt has to tackle Brain Drain by building more Universities and Making UoM an Institution respected worldwide. They need to tackle the issue of Tuitions and then they will start going in the right way.-Musheer

I don't think that there is brain drain personally Im afraid Musheer, the Government as well as companies hire people who they feel they want to hire.  There is not meritocracy in Mauritius and people who should get the jobs and turned away and people who sometimes no nothing about the job are employed because of people they know - classic examples of how things work in mauritius.  Its not what you know its who you know.

As for the issue of too many foreigners in Mauritius, I feel it has brought a breathe of fresh air to the Island, something I am totally for.  But, one must remember also that Mauritius is a small island with 1.3million population and is likely to grow more, so the question will arise one day about when to reduce or even stop foreigners settling in Mauritius.  I say get in whilst you can!

Dears,

Quite shocking!

Although I could not find the below topic suggested by Stormtrooper in his original email, could somebody please post the link which can take you to the actual thread upon clicking the link.

relocationmauritius.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

I am also due to be offered a job by a company in Mauritius very shortly and I am not sure if the recent changes in OP will affect my work permit (although my Company in Mauritius is going to take care of my Occupational Permit)?

Just a curiosity:
- could somebody tell me for how long the Occupational Permits are issued during the first time (i.e. 2Y, 3Y or 4Ys)

- Does the individuals nationality play any role here i.e. in case of British nationals?

Many thanks

- could somebody tell me for how long the Occupational Permits are issued during the first time (i.e. 2Y, 3Y or 4Ys)

3 years max

- Does the individuals nationality play any role here i.e. in case of British nationals?

no it doesn't

your employer as to write a nice letter that explains why he wants to employ a foreigner. If he does it correctly, you shouldn't have any problem

Thanks Julien, very helpful.

---

---

I do not believe you can take up a grievance on the matter. The PMO office is 'God' on this land. If they don't want to renew it, then that's it.

Not that I've tried this but, If I ever were to be in such a situation, I would try my luck with the Ombudsman. An Ombudsman is a non-politically appointed person who (sort of) looks after an individuals human rights. Major political parties must, together, agree on a person of integrity (could be an ex-judge). The Ombudsman has no power as such but their "recommendations" (so I believe) do carry a lot of weight in government and taken seriously often. He does have the right to call senior officials (including government ministers) to his office and ask them questions etc.

That would be my 'secret weapon'.

Great great info about Ombudsman you mentioned here. I hope Ombudsman is very strong in Mauritius and lot of expat will get help from him.

In India also it is being tried to appoint ombudsman all over but lot of politics is going on over it.

you must have heard about Anna Hazare, Arvind Kejriwal and other non-political leaders protesting on this last year.