PEX water tubing (red and blue)

Anyone here know if someone is selling PEX in DR?  Otherwise we will need to pay through nose because of volume required to import.

What the heck is it? Never heard of it.

Hello Brodies2013

Planner: Pex is a polyethylene tubing that provides an excellent option for plumbing. When combined with their push-fit fittings, valves, and other supplies, offers the fastest way to plumb any project. it also provides color options to differentiate cold and hot water lines

Brodies: I never saw it in the DR. As far I know locals use regular PCV for piping.

How much of PEX are you planning to use?

THANKS!!!!!!

It has been around for years in Europe I am told, but the first I ever saw of it in the USA myself was after Hurricane Katrina.  One needs a couple of hundred dollars of crimping tools and other PEX specific tools, but it is a quick and easy method of plumbing.

I'm pretty sure you only need PEX for hot water in pressurized systems, right?  And I've never even seen that in the dr.

To the original question I believe I saw it in Sosua.  On the main drag on the southside as one is getting oit of town toward Cabarete. I don't remember the name of the huge hardware building supply place, but do remember seeing PRX there

Dingoelgringo: if you recall we're they PEX in blue and red? 

There are other older version on PEX...usually black...the new ones when installed inside black PVC pipe ( to protect from UV) means any leak in the future can be quickly located and fixed...imagine!

Plastic push fit has been available in the U.K. for many years. No specific tools needed except for a pipe cutter. It has advantages and disadvantages especially on exposed pipes which can be easily knocked i.e. under the sink. You simply cut the pipe to length, push the connector on and hand twist the top of the connector tight. You must ensure the connector is pushed fully home and really fully tightened or the crimp willl come off. Do not over bend the pipe as this adds pressure to the compression fitting. Sweeping bends are best. Not for use in high water pressure areas. For example, my water pressure is 10 meters per head. ( easy test: it will fill a gallon bottle in 30 seconds)  so the pipe, although it will take the pressure you must ensure plenty of pipe brackets to prevent the pipe moving when pressure is released or stopped. Here I will not use it on mains supply, but it is great for overhead tanked and hot water. Advantages are speed and any competent diy'er can use it. Disadvantages is if the compression fail you have a full on open pipe not just a trickling leak.  It is also compatible with copper pipe so you can tag off existing piping. Personally I prefer solder fixed copper joints a as is less troublesome in the long run.  It can also be used to replace a faulty piece of pipe if you run in with a nail or an old bend splits