Purchasing a New Bed & Bedding

Hello everyone !!
I tried a 'search' of the topics in the Expat.com and ran out of patience LOL.............

We are coming back home for the holiday season and need to purchase a new bed with bedding.

Queen or King size doesn't matter to us.

Any recommendations on 'where' to purchase?    Is it better to buy in Santiago and have it delivered?   I'm guessing the prices in Sosua might be a tad higher due to all of the expats?

Any recommendations on pricing?

Thanks again everyone !!

We bought some very good mattresses here the Sosua area.  Best local sheets at La Sirena in PP. 

Bob K

Thanks bob. We will be in the market for a king bed and sheets. Etc. Help is appreciated.

If you want high quality sheets either bring them with you or buy online.  They are hard to find and expensive here. 

Beds and mattresses are easier.

Planner is correct.  Some places to check locally for mattresses are Lunares (in Cabarete and ask for a cash discount), large store on main road in Sosua Abajo, Fereterria (sp and new hardware store just on the east side of Sosua).

Bob K

Greatly appreciate your recommendations folks !!

Hopefully we can meet up this Christmas and go out for another great meal Bob :)

Works for me.  Maybe BBQ at the hacienda :D

Bob K

I will be on the north coast just after Christmas until Jan 2

Maybe a big BBQ

Bob K

YESSSSSSSSS

Ooohh...I will be on the North Coast on December 27th...shopping for furniture...beds included...I would love to meet for coffee with some of you guys!  Or join the BBQ??   :D

Beginning to look like a party!!!

I think that this BBQ might be a great idea !!     LOL......... nice way to meet some new and old friends :):top:

Love it when a plan comes together.

Bob K

I think Bob just volunteered to host a big expat holiday PARTY! :lol:

Not sure about the hosting part but certainly will help to put one together. 

Bob K

Doesnt matter where it happens, just that it does...

Just got back from a trip to Santiago including a very expensive stop at  Price Mart.  The had lots of mattresses as well as linins, towels and such.

Bob K

Thank you again Bob.     I spoke with the 'better half' and we think we might just pick up everything in Cabarete by paying cash.  I'm guessing that the time and money it would take to travel down to Santiago, or Santa Domingo ...... it might just work out the same to buy locally (Cabarete or Puerto Plata).    Buying locally would also make sense for delivery headaches, etc., etc. 

See you guys in a month................. WooHoo!!!!    :lol:

Yep a good plan

Bob k

Reviving the Mattress thread here...did anyone weigh in on the merits or faults of memory foam/latex in a tropical climate??  Should we plan on a foam layer in an inner spring mattress?

We have a foam topper on our mattress and have had no problems with it.  We have been using it for about 5 years now.

Bob K

Foam toppers are available in all sizes at  Ikea if that helps...

We had ours vacuumed packed by the shipper and then sent here. Not very expensive and very happy with it. Probably cheaper than IKEA this way.

BObK

yeah...on that note...we got a quote from cps of about $250 (us) for shipping on an item to our door in cabrera...and two more items of the same combined weight cost us over $500? we were told to expect the same shipping for the same weight...that was a bit shocking...but, now we have to accept delivery, right?

Yes all prices are off the wall.  You just have to find what works for you.

How much does each box weigh.  Maybe find some on coming down and have them bring it on the plane with them and pay the extra baggage fee?

Bob K

Are there any size / dimension  charges on the packages?

FYI:  got a simmon beauty rest pillow top queen mattress for 15.000 pesos...at pricesmart...we're members now!

Yayyyyyy

Good job on the mattress.

Bob K

Any issue with delivering back to Sosua?       We ended up buying at a large furniture store just east of Cabarete (left side of the road going east) and had delivery that afternoon (mattress & fridge).    We paid a bit more by the sounds of it, but it was COD and its here !!   LOL       Merry Christmas everyone!!

Most local stores will deliver.  We have had stuff delivered from Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Santiago and even Santo Domingo and only paid extra(and not much) on the Santiago and Santo Domingo deliveries.  Very convenient

Bob K

Welcome to the forums.  This is a very old thread!  You will have better luck getting responses opening a new thread. 

I know of no shops selling locally made sheets and towels.

@planner

Brought sheets but they do not fit the standard sized Dominican beds. Any place there with good quality sheet?

Which beds are you trying to fit?  All my beds  bought here, over the years,  and they are  standard - except 1 bed  bought at Ikea which is not standard.  You have to buy the "longer" sheet sizes.

For good quality sheets  I buy them online!   You can get good quality here at places like  Casa Cuesta but they are really expensive.

@annamayking19you

not sure if this is your dilemma  , but you  might have to buy the  California  sheets  , i know you   can't put regular king size sheets on a California king size bed ,  and some beds are made longer then other including twins & full  size