Helpful info for what to expect in grocery stores please?

Hello all, I have nothing but good and exciting news pertaining to my pending May 1st arrival in Punta Cana. My condo owner has updated me with the name and phone number of the person meeting me at the airport and all my questions regarding water delivery etc have been answered so things could not be better...

I have fallen into what some might consider a very bland and perhaps odd diet but it started from my health issues. I'm just wondering if I could get some advice on what I might find that in the average grocery store for instance:

Is yogurt ,specifically Greek yogurt, readily available refrigerated in most stores as we have in the United States?

Will most breads be fresh off of the shelves or packaged like we have in the States and is it possible to find low calorie bread, high fiber or low calorie foods of any kind?

Will I find things like vegetable wash that I understand is necessary in the grocery store or should I bring that with me?

As a single person, I rarely purchase meat from the grocery as it is mostly wasted but try to at least get fresh deli meat and having not seen a Dominican grocery store, do they have delis that prepare on request a shaved pound of ham or turkey etc

As I eat a tremendous amount of fruit, specifically melons and grapes, should I get those at the grocery store or the fruit truck that I understand comes by the condo unit?

Suggestions of anything I should not get fresh. I do not eat fish of any kind so that is not a worry.

Coffee, this is something I could never live without and there is a small typical automatic coffeemaker in the unit probably a Mr Coffee but here in the states and probably elsewhere the Keurig single cup brewers have Popped up everywhere especially in my kitchen and I don't know any other way of having coffee as one cup at a time brewing seems to be the freshest for me..if I bring a small Keurig unit with me, will I be able to find what is called the single K-Cups in a grocery store there or have the Keurig systems and K Cups not made their way to the Dominican  Republic yet?

as to the above, are fresh refrigerated non dairy creamers available and do they have refrigerated dairy sections.  How about things like artificial sweeteners?

I will assume the answer to this is no but if they have a frozen section, will I be able to find things like pre packaged Weight Watchers breakfast food or anything like that?

Lastly, I am adequately informed that I need to use bottled water for making ice, mixing powdered drinks or other things but if I was to order a drink from a restaurant or a bar and perhaps am not aware that it is made with water, or any part water, will they be using bottled water on the most part so that I can be sure to be free of any of the water borne illnesses or should I not take any chances. I am already on a prophylactic antibiotic 4 another issue and was lucky to find out that it is one that could be taken if I acquired one of the water borne illnesses from the non potable water. It is just wiser for me to avoid that altogether.

lastly again I would like to apologize if any of this is seen by anyone as being ignorant of what is a developing country and the access to things that as an American I take for granted... on the contrary, I am ready to find other ways and other foods or preparation of foods and I consider changing one's habits to that of another culture an enriching experience.

Thanks for any replies

Honey no reason to apologize!!!! Here you go:

Yogurt - available in the big stores!

Whole grain bread both packaged and fresh - yes!!!!

Vegetable wash - white vinegar or a touch of bleach does the same thing. and much cheaper.

Yes to delis in main grocery stores!!!

Not sure on the single K cup refills. Get yourself a dominican Greka (not sure on spelling) one cup at a time on the stove.  AND IT IS AWESOME coffee here!!! It is like US 4 a pound and outstanding coffee.

Yes on refridgerated dairy sections, artificial sweeteners etc.

It is safe to drink water served in a restaurant or bar and the ice is safe.  Usually water is served in small bottles so you know it is good.  No one here wants to chance getting or giving bugs to clients. Be careful of cleaning ladies who may make coffee with tap water - NO NO NO. water from tap is only good if boiled 13 minutes -  use bottled water for coffee.

You are refreshing in the amount of questions you ask - well thought out, well articulated so no worries!!!!  Sorry for the delay in responding I was out of town.....

Thanx so much...that coffee sounds great!!

I love a great big cup of coffee in the mornings!!!! not a little dinky Dominican cup of coffee which is mostly sugar with a touch of coffee!  LOL

Start every morning with two big cups on fresh ground Induban coffee :D

Bob K

Okay, so I did some quick homework on the coffee situation... Found a youtube video on how to use a GRECA... seems you can find anything on google... Also found available info on Induban type of dominican coffee.  The video also bragged about "Cafe Bustello" brand which is available in US online but states it is "very dark Espresso"?    It seems like the Greca maker is also called an espresso maker when sold online here.  Video showed him using 6 tasitas (cups?) of bottled water but packing the entire filter which was described as the Cuban way.. Came out looking like black oil.. I like a big mug, with Splenda and prefer refrigerated creamer with a milder coffee (although I tend to drink several large mugs of it.. so I  think I'll go with one tablespoon!!!!  Can't do that "packed cuban" thick black coffee.  But at least it sounds better than the old fashioned American Mr. Coffee auto maker.. Thanks for that info.. I will know what to look for when going to the grocery store.  I am sure the gentleman who is picking me up can help me to find a Greca there ( although they are available on Amazon)... but I suppose easier to get in Punta Cana... Thanks again,

Syringles

Buy it here, they are everywhere. Use regular coffee no espresso and I use 4 level tablespoons to a pot of coffee. Adjust as you like, my friend makes espresso and adds boiling water and milk.  Whatever works, you will figure it out honey!

No on the Bleach.... It is poison developed to kill people during WW1... Vinegar.. Yes.... Peroxide, Yes... Those Aluminum coffee pots.... What can I say.. Everyone uses them... Except. Me.. I use glass or stainless.... NO aluminum pots or pans... Look it up on the web.... Splenda is poison too.. Contains Aspartame.. You can Google that too... You can live very Organically here if you try....  OH.. And most of the Salt here has Fluoride in it.... Not trying to be a spoil sport, just a FYI...

Hello ladies, the coffee maker, espresso/mocha Greca is way cheaper if you get it in DR, and i remember seeing it at La Sirena. i have a 2cups, 4 and 6 cups, the flavor gets even better everytime you use it, just rarely use dishwasher soap to clean it! It's made of aluminium and it is the best way to make a good coffe(my opinion)!

Have a good stay in Punta Cana and don't be affraid, you will love it if you have an open mind!

Thanks I love my DR coffee for.

And Catsam if you are going to get into that, we will have to discuss rum etc! So let's not have that conversation. Everyone can access info on what is or is not good for us. And each can make their own choices.

Hey all!

One of the biggest things I am looking forward to when I come to the DR is green papaya!  I fell in love with green papaya salad when I was in Thailand and I am planning to eat a lot of it in the DR, since most of the ingredients should be available there.

The one thing I am not sure of is fish sauce!  Is it possible to find fish sauce in any of the stores in the Sosua Bay/Puerto Plata area?  I am guessing this is unlikely but figured it couldn't hurt to ask!  I can bring some if I can't find it there...

Also, I am assuming most nuts are scarce (or prohibitively expensive!) but how about peanuts?  I am assuming they are available and relatively cheap, but if they are as expensive as most nuts are (in my experience on tropical islands, that is!) I will bring them as well...

Thanks so much!  :o)

Peanuts can be found but not all the time.  They are not really roasted by US standards and to me taste soggy.  You can get imported and also jarred but expensive.

Fish sauce is available in Plaryero, as well as la Sirena.

Where are you staying/moving to?

Bob K

Cashews are grown here as are almonds if that helps.

They are grown here but still hard to get. However there are street vendors around town as well as on the highways that sell Cashews.  Pretty good tasting as well.

I have never seen home grown almonds however.

Bob K

Bob we have almond trees all over the place. They dont sell on the streets but you can get them in the grocery stores, usually near the deli counter.

I will look next time.  They are a great and healthy snack food.

Bob K

Sure are!  I eat them every day.

Hi Bob and Planner! Thanks for responding. You two are so helpful!

Bob, that's great news about the fish sauce! I am assuming the names you mentioned are stores? I am moving to Sosua Bay. I don't know exactly where... Bummer that peanuts are hard to find/expensive/not roasted correctly! I will bring some, as I am not a huge fan of cashews.

Planner, that's great news about the almonds! Almonds are one of my favorite nuts. Are they reasonably priced?

At the store La Sirena you will find peanuts honey, imported major brands and store brands.   Almonds -  again  depends how and where you buy them but for me it is worth the price.  I actually buy huge bags of them at PriceSmart - closest to you is Santiago.

Yes since you are going to be in the Sosua area the Playero (sstore) will have some imported penuts.  La Serina in PP as well.  We actually go to PP about once amonth to shop at la Sirena which is a huge store much like a large walmart with household goods as well a a huge supermarket.

Super Poloa (sister store with same parent comapney as  la Serina) is also in sosua ane the main place where we do our grocrey shopping.

We have lived full time in the Sosua/Cabarete are now for over 9 yeas and not much we cannot find.

Bob K

Thanks guys!

You are wecome

Bob K

the benefits' of chlorine by far out ways any problems with it. many people would more than likely died from bad municipal water supplies . It was not invented to be a gas to kill people. it was invented in the 1700's. I worked at the largest chlorine plant in the world.Bleach was never used to kill. its only 6% chlorine. most of your plastics would not be here today without it

Hmmmm did I miss something???

bleach has its' uses.  33 onces will purify 1,000 gallons of bad cistern water. the clorine odor dissipates in 2 days & there is no discernable taste.  I'm talking about household bleach, not pool bleach tabs.  It won't get rid of the minerals, but it will kill DEAD all germs & parasites. Treating cisterns in the islands is a normal part of life  Rain water collected from the roofs can contain bird & lizard droppins & all types of insects & other debris.  For more than 30 years of living in the islands using local water, I never got sick.  I would use bottled water for my ice & coffee.  Otherwise they would not taste as good as they can be.  I have used French Market w/chickory fr decades. It is a New Orlans style coffee.  So rich &strong that you use only 2/3 of grounds to make a pot. Amzing stuff & it is cheaper than mos other continental brands.  I also love the Dominian ciffee, no sugar, a slash of anejo (sp) & a little milk.  The pork, chicken, bacon & ground beef are excellent.  Never buy steaks, roastsor any othe beef from local cattle.  They are not feed lotted so are tough & dry.  Have fun exploring the new you that you will discover here.

Yes we treat our cistern with chloro every month even though it has been tested to be potable.

Hate coffee with chickory way too bitter for my taste.

I agree with the meat purchases and never by local beef steaks.  Would be about the same as roasting an old shoe :D

Bob K

Yup local beef sucks.   Only buy imported!  And expect to pay for it.......  but every once in a while it is worth it.   By the way not talking about  ground beef - you can get decent ground beef here but buy it and use it. Don't expect it to last in the refrigerator.

Nope does not last.  I buy a  3-4  pounds at a time.  Doctor it up and then make hamburger patties to but in the freezer (vacuum packed).

Bob K

Me too especially when it goes on sale.............

ON sale every Wednesday at Super Pola

Bob k

We dont have super pola yet, but our new mall with La Sirena opens late in November!!!  Woooo hooooooo

Sales are even better there.  Congrats!!!

Bob K

And we are getting Payless Shoes AND Pizza Hut  in the same place............... woooooooooo hooooooooooo.  Doesnt take much to make me happy these days.  A stuffed crust pizza and I am good to go.

Sorry but using Pizza and Pizza Hut in the same sentence is an oxymoron.  Pizza Hut has very little to do with real pizza.  Just my opinion.

Maybe things have changed as the last time I tried eating pizza at a "Hut" was probably 15 years ago.

BObK

It's my favorite!!!

Yes Bob, things change in 15 years. I'm reminded of that when I inadvertently look into a mirror.  Alas,  what a loss of a fine, handsome gentleman, turned into this ancient face. ( view the pic ). Fortunately, my febrile mind accepts the change th humor & a screw it mindset. Lucky  that most good Dominican women care more about who you are, not what you are.

Gypsy only changes for the better.

However I am afraid that the pizza has not changed so much

Bob K

Bob, did I know you 15 or 20 years ago when I was prime stock? Have you seen my photos in the "paris Review", or perhaps in "CaribbeanTravel & Leisure"or any of the other publications that had written about me or my restaurants? Have you eaten in one of the 19 bars & restaurants that I designed or perhaps in  the "Salt River Tavern, "The Pitts @ The Wreck Bar" , Or maybe the most famous one , "No Bones Café"?   Believe me, my countanence  (sp) has not improved, unlike the aging of a fine wine.  More like a piece of forgotten fruit in the fridge. Thanks for the boost though.

You are welcome.  I guess with me it is a mind thing.

Bob K

It is not what is on the outside  Gypsy but what is in the inside that really matters.   You of all of us knows this.....