The best things to discover in Mexico

Hello everyone,

What have you discovered in Mexico that you would recommend to other expats?

Are there any places that you enjoy visiting on the weekends, be it areas of natural beauty or shopping malls? Are there any Mexican dishes that you would recommend?

What are some of the best activities in Mexico?

Are there any unique customs or places you were introduced to by locals that you think other expats might be interested in? Are there any local festivals that expats might want to get involved with?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

What have you discovered in Mexico that you would recommend to other expats?

Are there any places that you enjoy visiting on the weekends, be it areas of natural beauty or shopping malls? Are there any Mexican dishes that you would recommend?

What are some of the best activities in Mexico?

Are there any unique customs or places you were introduced to by locals that you think other expats might be interested in? Are there any local festivals that expats might want to get involved with?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

It would be easier to say what I have not discovered, so be patient this will take more than one post.

First, I live in a very historically significant city. It is full of buildings and artifacts that are over a 100 years old. My house is 200 years old.
Things that date back to Mayan times can be seen almost everywhere. Walls that have stood the test of time. rainbow colored buildings,  A modern mall that over looks a bay and one of the best areas to walk , ride or run in Mexico the Malcon or walkway around that bay.
In el centro there are areas where you can actually see ancient crafts like how panama type hats are made.  There is much to see in el centro. There is much to see in Campeche.

What I discovered recently in Campeche is the shoe fair. I have been having problems with Chinese sandals. Bought 4 and 4 broke.

So I checked out the shoe event that happens twice a year. There is a village north of here that makes shoes entirely for women. My sort of place. Lot's of shoes very reasonable as well as organic skin products and clothes. I bought two leather Mexican made sandals that are quite nice. I may go back when they come in December. It's just sort of one of those things you find out. South of here is the city that makes chocolate and the lovely Hacienda Santa Rosa.

I will be visiting Cancun soon . They have one of the best beaches I have gone to, and I have seen a lot of beaches. But they also have a great leather shop where I bought a belt and purse.  You just have to look, and ask to find these places. Some are obvious like el centro here, others are hidden jewels.

Any or all of the top 20 or 30 activities in Tripadvisor's list for Mexico City.
Don't miss.
    Teotihuacan
    Museum of anthropology
    Secretary of Education Pablo Rivera Murals
    The Zocalo – Cathedral, National Palace, Templo Mayor
Zacatecas – Festival Cultural during Holy Week
Zacatecas – International Folk Festival
Zacatecas – other sights
Oaxaca – city and tours of outlying areas
Chichen Itza, Coba, Guachimontones, Mexican ruins, Mexico news, Monte Alban, Palenque, Teotihuacan, Tulum
The beaches
Browse Tripadvisor

I agree with you gudgrief.   I am from South Africa and have had 7 visits to Mexico, my daughter lives and works in Mexico...Mexico City, Acapulco (I know...disbelief) and San Miguel and Guanajuarto  on my must see list, every time I might add.   Love to show off Mexico to other family members and friends...  Who knows? I might still live in that beautiful country some day...

Hi Priscilla

In about 2009 we happened to be in Mexico City when there was a huge flotilla (floats) of  paper mache figures and artworks.  when will this be happening again?  It was huge and went down Reforma...  I would love to see it again...

If anyone knows it would be welcome

Tippy1234 wrote:

Hi Priscilla

In about 2009 we happened to be in Mexico City when there was a huge flotilla (floats) of  paper mache figures and artworks.  when will this be happening again?  It was huge and went down Reforma...  I would love to see it again...

If anyone knows it would be welcome

Could be this http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37813562

dia de los Muertos is popular in many cities in Mexico. They happen in October and yes Mexico city had one in 2009.

Does the festival take place every year?  I would like to plan my trip around that time...

thank you for reply

Yes Tippy 1234,

it is a yearly event in many cities. There is one city south of here that goes far beyond the others. They actually exhume their loved ones and clean the bones. That's beyond me.
Here is information :

http://geo-mexico.com/?p=10122

I have seen the one in Michoacán, and Morelos, but not the one in Mexico. They really go to a lot of work for these events.

The best things in Mexico depend on you . For me it's the fresh made little French rolls I buy hot , bolios?, from the little market. The fresh fried Chili's stuffed with cheese. A walk in the beautiful mountain air on the malecon, along the lake , watching the kids play and eating ice cream. I could go on.

I can recommend the Folklore Festival in Zacatecas highly, this year starting 30 July.

More info at:
https://www.facebook.com/ZacatecasTrave … 4760591055