Great news, and a bit of info on employment..

For those who know me, I have great news... I AM EMPLOYED tomorrow at 11am I sign my 3 year contract!!!! My previous jobs in the IT divisions of the force protection, Government and security industry's have paid off.

For those who are still looking I want it let you know a couple things.

1. It has been a 4 month diligent and daily search.

2. This is not the only offer I had received, but The other offer saw my skillset and wanted to illegally lock me into a contract, so if you specialize in something unusual for Malta, BE CAREFUL.  It can be very easy to fall into pitfalls out of desperation.... Always cover your @$$ here.  Malta is beautiful, but like anywhere else, you have to be very careful who you trust.

3. ETC can be huge resource if you use them correctly, they are also a giant pain in the butt like any other government operated organization....  Just deal with it, and go through their process without crying... They deal with a lot of people who have no interest in working, if you have to go to their offices for any reason make it clear that you are not one of those folks and life will be simpler for you.

4. The Malta Sunday times is your best friend.

5. Register with ALL the recruiters and recruiting sites you can find.  Again be careful with this though, many recruiting companies are looking to hire for the same positions..  If you apply for a position with one recruiter, DO NOT apply for the job a second time through another recruiter.  Many times this automatically kicks you out of the system for that job.

6. Don't be a surrender monkey, stay on it daily stay diligent and keep your head up.  Just keep pounding out the CV's/Resume's. and eventually something will come through.

Hi Chad,

Congratulations. You made it well within the 6 months !

How about a CC (celebration Cisk)when you have time after work.

Ricky

Congrats Chad. Well done!

And great advice for all those seeking work - attitude is very important.

Tim

Cisk Celebratio sounds great,

Tomorrow evening while Poli is at work ???

Sounds good !

We could also wait until Poli has time off work .

Set time and place Chad. We'll be there to give you a good start to  your new career.Look forward to hearing the details.

Ricky

Hi Chad

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

brill news, hope it all works out for you.  Looking forward to going out and celebrating with you and Poli when I get back

:)

Fantastic news! A double celebration as I also got offered a position today and start on Monday. Loving Malta so far and for anyone considering driving from the UK to Malta dont do what we did and do it in three days we were knackered and driving in Rome and Sicily was scary to say the least! Well done chad

Well done Chad! Wishing you a long, happy and succesful run in your job. Gives all of us a boost that are worrying about unemployment after arriving in Malta.

I applied for a media position (my speciality) advertised on-line on a government website  and went for an interview in Malta earlier this month while we were visiting there for a week. What a disappointment, the working environment was horrible, the salary advertised just a load of b...shit - left the interview feeling very 'down'- I know one can't judge the job market on just one incident,but it did worry me.

Just to get my thinking clear - as an EU citizen do I(and my partner (also EU) have to find work within 6 months of arriving?
We are not coming across to 'buy' citizenship. If we don't start work within 6 months what is our legality on the island? We will probably be starting our own small business at a later stage (but not within the first 6 months)   Commercial/business/premises negotiations in Malta are a mine field, have tried to do a lot from the UK but have realised we will have to pull it together once we are living on the island.

Thanks in advance for input from all ;)

residency and citizenship are completely different matters.

you can remain in Malta for up to 3 months as a tourist - you then have to take up residency, by applying for a residency permit - if you are not working you will have to prove you have enough resources to be self sufficient - if you can do this, you can stay as long as you want

I've sent you s message with more info

Congratulations :) great to hear the hard looking paid off- and I hope you enjoy your new position!

Also great tips for anyone who is having problems!

Well done angela.....good luck...hope youve settled in ok.....youve confirmed my thoughts.....im not doin the drive! will but a car in Malta!!

Congratulation Chad :)

On behalf of Expat.com Team ;)

Thank you all....   Honestly not sure I would have made it this far without the assistance of Y'all :)

George, thank you for your message and all the info, much appreciated, have sent you a message as well.