Advice on moving to Slovakia with young children

Hello

My husband has been offered an opportunity to relocate to Slovakia for 3 years.  We have 3 children aged 5.6 and 6 months and the company will place them in International schools.

We are all going to visit Slovakia in half term and would like advice on the best schools and areas to look at for accommodation.

It would also be grate to know if there any groups or Facebook pages for Mums so I can meet up with similar people.

Thanks in advance

Nikki

Hi Nikki and welcome to Expat.com :)

It might help in your request for information to give some more details.

Where about's will your husband be based? Will it be purely in the Bratislava area?

You might be pleased to know that there are a few Tesco's in area, so shopping won't be too bad ;)

If you don't have to much luck with mother and toddler groups. Vienna is not far away and they have lots on for mothers.

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

Hi

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I'm glad there are a few tesco I was a bit worried about the shopping 😊

Yes we will be based in Bratislava.

Thanks

You might wish to have a look at British International School it is the largest of the international schools in Bratislava. They do have a Facebook group as well.

I hope that is of some help to you. If you plan to visit Austria (Vienna) give us a shout :)

Hi Nikki

Just some advice ive been living in zilina for around 3 years, which is a much smaller town than Bratislava.  You will have no problem shopping I dont recommend tesco so much they have had a bit of a bad reputation here for selling product out of date so just keep an eye on the dates of what you are buying.  They do have an english section dont know how big their section is in bratislava, where I am its quite small. 

I recommend shopping in Lidl they also do an english week if you want things like uk bacon, you will get english cheese there weekly if need be.  I primarely shop in Kaufland  which is a very good supermarket and Lidl.  I moved here when my boy was 6 months old, he goes to a slovak nursery but he is bilingual because I speak english and he speaks slovak in nursery, its up to you how youdo it with a baby, where I am there is an international school but your children will learn slovak aswell.  Dont know of any facebook groups there is a website for mums I will check with my wife what its called.  But if your children will be attending a international school then you would probably meet parents who are english speaking.

If you need any advice please dont hesitate to ask and I will help all I can

Huw

Ah yes, I forgot about Lidl, thanx Huw :)