A new assignment in Bratislava

"I am an Indian.I have an offer from one of the auto exterior company from Bratislava.I am planning to come with my wife to bratislava for 2 years after few days.So I have few questions:
1)Is Bratislava is totally safe for foreign people like me?
2)Is English communication works at market or hotels?
3)Can I save up to 1600 Euros if I get salary of 2500 euros after cutting all taxes and considering flat rent and eating and all?
4)Can I find fully furnished( with furniture,cable,kitchen, internet with maitenance and warm)flat at bartislava up to 450 euros?

Your expert answers will help me lot for planning."

Hello, I will help where I can. I have lived in Bratislava for 2 years now, in many different parts of the city, and have certainly experienced some fun things as a foreigner here.

1) I found Bratislava safe. There are the few drunks here or there, but nothing unsafe. Truthfully, the most unsafe I felt here was from a group of British tourist drinking here for a stag party. It didn't help that I was an American female, I think the Slovak females get it even worse though.

2)English is common-ish. In the main city you can get by with basic communication English. Nothing too advance. Going to the hospitals can be tricky. I would recommend finding Slovak friends quickly :) As far as the market, if they cannot do numbers etc. Then writing is always an option. For hotels, the further East you get the less English is available.

3)Saving 1600/2500 after taxes, rent, food, etc. Depends on where you are living/renting from. You can find a basic 2 room flat in Petrzalka for around 300-400. It may not be the most comfortable or near to where you work, but it would help with the budget. Then food, I typically count for eating out + groceries around 170E a week for 2 of us. If you buy alcohol that price goes up. Keep in mind the visa process will set you  back some money as well.

4)flat for 450 with all included, sure, but you will be looking at staying outside of the city center and sacrificing some comfort. But, I have personally found the flat rent trend to be curious, often fluctuating monthly. In other words, sometimes I see great flats for for great prices, other days I see terrible flats going for too much money.

Good luck on your travels!

Hello allively,

It is nice to see your quick reply.This will Help me a lot to figure out the things. In case of accomodation I will prefer the city area may be old town area so that it will help to fulfill my day today needs.may be I can walk around for 2 or 3 km to my office to have a good excercise.Still I found a question for 2 people what will be the expences in euros per month for average and basic needs?
1000 euro to 1200 euro?

The prices shown on the following website are quite accurate and may be of help to you:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … Bratislava

At the top of the web page are some drop down selections offering other statistics that might be of interest with regards to flat rental cost etc.

Hope this helps and I'm sure you will feel welcome in Slovakia.
I have lived here for 2 and a half years and recommend it highly.

Hi there,

I am looking to meet up with fellow expat's from the UK and I also hope to gain any info. possible on what job prospects there are for me in Slovakia.

I will be heading to Bratislava very soon and will be staying there for a year.

I am from Stafford, England and have spent the last, almost 5, years in the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

I am looking to study Slovak and German whilst over in Slovakia, I am at very basic level in both of these presently.

If you would be interested in sharing your experiences and meeting up when I am over, that would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Steve

Hey SteveyG,
Thanks for the post. Though my assignment for slovakia is tentative,If I come there,I will be surely meeting you.I am an Engineer ,so I am not knowing much about your profession.
    Where you are planned stay at Bratislava? I will meet you for sure in Bratislava... See you then..

Hi sanjay ,

Thanks for your post. I am also like you planing to move Bratislava due to Job from India.

I don't have any Idea about slovak, having basic English communication Skill.

I am software developer my employer offering me 2000 Euros including all tax after deduction I hope I will get it 1500 Euros

Right now I am coming as bachelor , but next year I have plan to do marriage.

Please help me to get below clarifications.

1. How much I can save ?

2. My work location is  Galvaniho, Bratislava 2  , How about safety here and accommodation ?

Your experienced answer will help me lot.

Thanks in advance.

Arul