Menu
Expat.com

How to bring your car to Indonesia

Last activity 29 May 2017 by GuestPoster0210

Bhavna

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Indonesia, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Indonesia?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Indonesia, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Indonesia?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Fred

The easy answer is "Don't".

Apart from the deliberately messy paperwork, the shipping costs and taxes will make it completely pointless and/or way too expensive to bother.

Anything worth shipping in will attract the luxury car tax as well as normal import duties and so on.

The system is designed to stop people bringing cars into the country so it's easier and cheaper to sell your car in your home country and buy a new one here.

As a note, the same applies to furniture and pretty much everything else apart from small electronics and clothes.

GuestPoster0210

I just made the mistake of ordering to much value worth of small goods (over £100) from the UK, when I looked into it imported cars are usually taxed between 100/200% of value

Articles to help you in your expat project in Indonesia

• Driving in Indonesia
    Driving in Indonesia

Traffic in Indonesia can be very overwhelming, particularly since the discipline and road conditions can ...

• SIMs are needed
    SIMs are needed

I have been living here for nearly 4 years now and 2 of them have been spent using my own transport; a ...

• Indonesian driver's license or SIM
    Indonesian driver's license or SIM

Getting your Indonesian driver's license or SIM (Surat Izin Mengemudi)  is easy and owning a car or ...

• Drive with caution
    Drive with caution

In Bali you see it everywhere. People riding scooters without helmets and doing crazy things that you would never ...

• Working in Bali
    Working in Bali

The multi-faceted island of Bali offers many opportunities for those who wish to move from tourist to ...

• Moving to Indonesia with your pet
    Moving to Indonesia with your pet

Moving to Indonesia with a pet is not a risk-free operation, mainly due to stray animals and rabies. ...

• Having a baby in Indonesia
    Having a baby in Indonesia

If you are about to have a baby in Indonesia, you should be aware that the medical services available to pregnant ...

• Accommodation in Bali
    Accommodation in Bali

If you are planning to relocate to Bali, housing is a critical part of your project. So how to find your ...

All of Indonesia's guide articles