Taking older car from England to Indonesia

Taking older Range Rover to Indonesia from England

Assuming you don't have a nervous breakdown because of the paperwork, the taxes will make it pointless as they're likely to be more than the value of the car.
Luxury cars are taxed like mad on import so it's very likely to be an expensive waste of time ... then you'll have to register it with local plates.

Servicing is also going to be a headache, and ordering spare parts is likely to be difficult.
As older range rovers are as rare as rocking horse droppings here, even an oil filter might mean importing from the UK.

And your UK licence is invalid in Indonesia, but an international licence can be used with restrictions if you register at the main police station in the area you live in.

Hello Ken,

That's quite a project. I imported my old (1991) BMW 730i from the UK to Malaysia many years ago but I know for certain that importing cars into Indonesia is going to be a lot more difficult than into Malaysia.

You better  check things out carefully before doing it, check also with a cargo company that has done it before as they may be able to provide a lot of additional information. It might even be worth simply buying a secondhand Range Rover in Jakarta, if you can find one. However, those old cars back in the UK go for very little so I can understand the interest in importing, but it might not be worth the hassle and cost at this end.

Cheers and good luck.

One thing to consider is the value of your older vehicle, base models Range Rover sports typically start around £150k here, so your older vehicle could well end up costing ludicrous amounts in tax don't bother putting a lower value on it Indonesian authorities will decide the price not you
Again as mentioned you'll pay vulgar prices for any parts you may need, getting them won't be an issue the price will be
General repairs etc and maintenance costs are extremely cheap as to is fuel compared to the uk
If your coming here to live consider selling and purchasing an alternative here they are all similar prices in Indonesia apart from batam and it's around 20% cheaper for bikes and cars but you pay tax on them if you relocate in Indonesia
It's worth considering though, have a look at the toyota fortuner srz and vrz for 4x4 are good work horses and pretty luxury tbh only 2.4d or 2.7 petrol I'm happy with mine and play off road with it
Whatever the value of your vehicle as for example £20k in uk it will be £40k here plus 100% mark up (possibly)
The fortuner sun batam start at about £21k upto about £26k ish older models are a 7 seat hilux 2017 models are independent vehicles for the Australian markets similar spec hilux in uk are over £40k

How much do land cruiser
Hight lux
Cost in Indonesia
What restrictions are there on international license

There is a local website called www.mobil123.com where you can see the prices of both new and used cars all over Indonesia:

For new Land Rovers:
https://www.mobil123.com/mobil-baru-dij … /indonesia
For new Landcruisers:
https://www.mobil123.com/mobil-baru-dij … /indonesia

For used Land Rovers:
https://www.mobil123.com/mobil-bekas-di … /indonesia
For used Landcruisers:
https://www.mobil123.com/mobil-bekas-di … /indonesia

Cheers

Depends on location  if you google for example toyota Bali prices 2018 you'll get more accurate the prices do vary slightly but in my location a Toyota wildtrack about £21k
But other locations probably £25k
Landcruiser again goes on location and spec
Expect to pay £70k upwards
In my location in Indonesia it's 50/50 for international license due to various provinces local government officials being arsey because it says Indonesia and not the province
If you live here with correct paperwork you can quickly get a local one I think on the larger islands it will be fine

I hope to move to jeckater next you to live want older 4x4 not one with lots of computers tuning it so probably 25 years old

Most of Jakarta's roads are in fair condition so  4x4 isn't likely to be required.
Finding an old vehicle here is possible but the chances of one in reasonable condition that's seen oil changes and so on are limited at best.
Add the state of traffic, the total lack of discipline, the terrible jams, the messing around trying to find parking, and you have a bad idea that's likely to turn into a dismal failure - all after you've sorted out the international licence at your local polda.

One more for importing - has the vehicle got air conditioning?
If not, you'll never have to buy a snack when out because you'll be able to bake bread in the car as you drive.

How much can I buy an older car for in Indonesia some ideas on prices please

Read the thread, and research you'll find answers

I think I mentioned the link previously, but just look on www.mobil123.com and you can find every brand of car both new and secondhand in every city of Indonesia. At least it gives you an idea of prices. However, the best way is once you are here, to go around town and visit the places selling second hand cars and there are lots of them.

Ken pilbrow wrote:

How much can I buy an older car for in Indonesia some ideas on prices please

Search and decide, but keep in mind the service history. Many Indonesians see servicing as an expensive waste of time, so a lot of used cars are a mess, even if they don't look it.

https://www.olx.co.id/mobil/jakarta-dki/q-car/

Fred wrote:

Most of Jakarta's roads are in fair condition so  4x4 isn't likely to be required.
Finding an old vehicle here is possible but the chances of one in reasonable condition that's seen oil changes and so on are limited at best.
Add the state of traffic, the total lack of discipline, the terrible jams, the messing around trying to find parking, and you have a bad idea that's likely to turn into a dismal failure - all after you've sorted out the international licence at your local polda.

One more for importing - has the vehicle got air conditioning?
If not, you'll never have to buy a snack when out because you'll be able to bake bread in the car as you drive.

My friend in Jakarta, in Bukit Golf Pondok Indah, just bought a vintage Jeep 4x4, 1970. Very good condition, manual, of course. I will ask him where he got it. He is not an expat, and would probably could give info about other types of car.
He and his wife brought me one Sunday to a gathering of vintage car owner at Hotel Gunawarman, Kemang. So many beautiful and well-maintain cars! Amazing!

Just import it part by part, not for car but old metal. Than look for people to build it legal. Better look for people that can make it legal from shipment,bulding,and plate.there is always a way.

Bima Tirtanadi wrote:

Just import it part by part, not for car but old metal. Than look for people to build it legal. Better look for people that can make it legal from shipment,bulding,and plate.there is always a way.

Considering you'll pay shipping costs from half way around the world, tax on anything the Indonesians consider worth over sg$250 import of a commodity from Europe (car parts) it would be cheaper to purchase a supercharged 5.0 autobiography with all the extras from over finch
Then again you could ship it as a full motor and save a fortune