Driving license in Indonesia

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in Indonesia?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in Indonesia?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).


Funny you should post that because I've just renewed my motorcycle licence this morning.

I can't speak for other countries but UK licences are NOT valid in Indonesia.
The cops either don't know or care but you're taking a risk driving on one.
Your vehicle can be confiscated and, in the event of an accident, you can end up in big trouble.

I have a SIM C (motorcycle licence). SIM A is for a car but I can't say much about that as I don't have one.

To get a SIM C, you need:
Your visa - The KITAS/P will determine the validity of the licence as you're only allowed a licence to the end of your legal time in Indonesia.
You can get a 30 day licence on a tourist visa.

In the event of a KITAS/P holder, you need your SKTT or a letter from the local RT stating you live where you say. You'll also need a photocopy of your SKLD (Police report card).

The cops, for that's where you get your licence, asked me for photocopies of my passport and blue immigration book pages stating I had a valid visa and my address.

I believe the official fee is still Rp100,000 but I'm unable to confirm that.
I know I said I got my licence this morning so you'll have to read what you will into that but I suspect you've got the idea.
Don't bother complaining about the cost unless you're squeaky clean and don't care about a pile of hassle.

The test consists of a ride around a bunch of cones, a figure 8 and a written test a baby with terrible myopia could pass.

There's also a medical to make sure you aren't going to snuff it of a heart attack on the way home.
You may well die horribly in a road accident but that's just driving in Indonesia.

Thanks for your contribution mas fred!:top:


I wrote this article about licences a while back for this site

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/asia/ind … eeded.html

Thank you lukereg! ;)


lukereg got the price right.
A little known fact, to foreigners at least, is your STNK is also an insurance policy.
Your stated next of kin gets a payout if you die in a terrible accident with your bones crushed to flour underneath a large truck.
I did see a chap in Magelang with the back wheels of a lorry parked on his head. Messy.

Not that it'll be much but your tearful wife/concubine may as well have it.