Car insurance

Hi everyone , can anybody recommend a good car insurance company in Bali , Also I'm buying a car in my Balinese wife's name and I will get full comprehensive insurance will the insurance cover me as a bule on international drivers licence ?

As it is, very few expats or locals have car insurance here on Bali since it isn't required unless the car has been purchased through a loan. 

High speed accidents are pretty rare here…most being of the “fender bender” variety and good body work is cheap.  I suppose that's part of the reasoning.

if you buy a new car here toyota have a fully comprehensive policy which is very good also daihatsu , i would never drive a car here without just in case of accident .

Yeah thank you I'm buying new Honda but as yet no one has been able to recommend a good insurance company and can't get a reply from company's when I try online.

if you contact honda , im sure they will have a suitable all risks policy , bear in mind as a foreigner you will always be wrong in a road accident so you will need full protection.

Any car bought with a loan will come with insurance as standard.
A car bought for cash will need insurance, and the dealer will normally be happy to help you with it.
One note, if the car is in your name (KITAS/P holders), all is well.
If the car isn't in your name, any cash from the insurance company will probably go to whoever it's registered to.
That's leaves a lot of potential for problems.

"Any car bought with a loan will come with insurance as standard."

Agreed.

"A car bought for cash will need insurance..."

Not so here in Bali Fred.  If you pay in full for the vehicle, be it new or used, there is no requirement (or inferred "need") for insurance unless that vehicle is intended (and licensed) to be used for public transport. 

"If the car isn't in your name, any cash from the insurance company will probably go to whoever it's registered to. That's leaves a lot of potential for problems."

Yes, any insurance settlement on damages to the insured vehicle will indeed be made to the registered person...who as you allude, may or not be the actual "owner."  Therein lies the potential "sticky wicket" you mentioned. 

When it comes to payments for liability...property damage, personal injury or death, the water get a bit more muddy.  In short, if the insured has already compensated the injured "third party" then the insurance payment should be made to the insured...but if the expenses for liable injury/damages have not already been paid by the insured, then the insurance company will pay the injured party directly.

Need wasn't suggesting anything to do with the law, more the ability to get your cash back in the event of an accident.
Mine returns 100% for total loss within the first six months, falling by percentage after that.
Other claims require I pay the first Rp300,000.

OK, Fred...got it.  In my "colonial English" when one says, "you need" to do something, requirement is implied.  When I tell my three boys, "you need to clean your rooms" they know exactly what I mean!   :lol: