How to bring your car to Belgium

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to Belgium, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Belgium?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Belgium, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Belgium?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Hi Bavna,

I would suggest selling the car. If you are in Brussels you can take public transit literally anywhere and everything is a close walk. For all things vehicle related you can rent or take a cab.

Go to my Facebook page Dusty Lee and look up my friend Chafiq Taibi - he is a Chauffeur and can drive you all over.

Cheers

Dusty

I am writing this to make it easier for people to find information regarding old car registration in Belgium when you move from abroad. What I will explain is only valid for transfer within EU. I moved from Spain to Ghent. The process may have slight differences wrt the city. First you have to be registered officially in the townhall and received your e-ID. You need the original registration documents of your car and your e-ID. After that, you can do it through e-mail. So take scans of all the registration documents and your e-ID. Fill in the Vignet 705 application form (it is available in the link below) then e-mail it to the Douane office. The address is also given in the link below. The process for me took only couple of hours. Then they send you an e-mail saying that your Vignet 705 is ready to pick up. This time you have to go there personally and receive your document. You need to show your ID and original documents. It takes only 5 minutes to receive it. Then you have to go to an insurance company to buy an insurance for your car. They will also put a stamp on this Vignet 705 document and you or the insurance broker can send it to the DIV. After that you will receive your new plate. Your registration is done.
For technical inspection, since I moved from Spain and my technical inspection was still valid, I did not go for technical inspection. I will go when the time comes.
http://financien.belgium.be/nl/douane_a … vignet-705

Importing and registering a vehicle in Belgium

Principle

Persons resident in Belgium must register their vehicle in Belgium even if these vehicles are registered abroad. The notion of residence in Belgium means being registered in the population registers of one of the Belgian municipalities. (Art. 3 of the Royal Decree of 20 July 2001 on the registration of vehicles).

Concretely, the same day that you obtain your identity card, you must submit the application for registration of your vehicle otherwise, in the event of police control you risk the seizure of your vehicle and a fine.

formalities

1. Before taking any action, you must be registered in the Belgian National Register and hold a Belgian identity card. Provide all original documents of the vehicle: European Certificate of Conformity - Foreign Registration Certificate - Possible vehicle invoice.

2. Go to the Customs office to request a pink registration form with a "705 sticker" (green) that captures the characteristics of the vehicle. A stamp will be affixed on this form which will be duly completed on the spot.

Address Customs office:
Rue de L'Entrepot 11 in 1020 Brussels.
From Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 11.00 am for individuals - 13.00 to 15.30 for taxable persons
Tel: 02/575 62 05; 02/576 92 21;

3. Go to technical control. If the vehicle changes ownership, you will have to carry out a second-hand check (with your vehicle). If the vehicle does not change ownership, you will have to do a simple administrative check.

Addresses Offices Technical Control:
1070 - Anderlecht - Rue du Labeur 3-9 - Tel: 02/529 07 84
1130 - Haren - Rue de la Grenouillette 25 - Tel: 02/240 73 50
1140 - Evere - Rue Colonel Bourg 118 - Tel: 02/726 91 52

http://www.autocontrole.be/

4. Visit an insurance broker to buy Belgian liability insurance

5. Submit the registration application to the DIV (Directorate of Vehicle Registration). This request can be made by your insurer or by yourself. You can either go to the ticket office (rue du Progrès 60 to 1210 Brussels) or send your file by post (rue du Progrès 56, 1210 Brussels). If you go to the ticket office for a third party, the registration application must present a power of attorney signed by the applicant (box "X10"), as well as your National Register number.

In 24 hours you will receive your registration certificate and your plate via the service of Bpost, against payment of 30 Euros.

Address DIV
Headquarters: FPS Mobility and Transport. Direction Traffic - DIV
City Atrium, rue du Progrès 56, 1210 Brussels, Tel. INFOKIOSK: 02/277 30 50 To speak to a collaborator, press the 8 and then the 1.
help.div [at] mobilit.fgov.be
Guichet: City Atrium, rue du Progrès 60, 1210 Brussels. Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.

6. Once the vehicle has been registered and has reached 4 years of age, you will have to submit it to a standard technical inspection.

taxes

Certain taxes are compulsory, such as the Tax of circulation and the annual tax of circulation. Other taxes such as VAT or import duties are due in specific cases related to the country of purchase of the vehicle and the state of the vehicle.

The entry fee is charged once only when the Belgian plate is purchased. It is calculated using fixed official tariff scales by car type.

The circulation tax is annual. Its amount is assessed according to the power of the car and is required to any holder of a registration number.

The FPS Finance is responsible for the calculation of these taxes: http://financien.belgium.be/en

An import tax (import duty) will be payable in the case of a vehicle purchased (new or second hand) outside the customs territory of the European Union. This amount is calculated on the customs value of the vehicle and is, for a car at 10%.

The value added tax (VAT) is 21% on the sale price of the vehicle and on any import duties. It is due in two cases:
You buy a new car in a country of the customs territory of the European Union to register it in Belgium.
You buy a new or used car outside the EU customs territory for registration in Belgium.

In conclusion, it is a real journey of the combatant. So unless the vehicle is new or it has a significant "sentimental" value, it is better to buy local.

I intend to bring my three cars with me when I move to Belgium. One is a classic carthatbI only drive for fun the other two are for travelling back to the UK. I have checked with my insurance pocily and as long as I bring the car back to the UK every 12 months it will remain valid. I intend to go back to the UK every couple of months anyway. I brought a nulber of cars in Holland and found that unlike the UK the cars were often neglected and over priced. I lived there for six years and drove a UK registered car for most of the time. I assume the Belgiums like the Dutch do not pay much attention to UK registerd cars?

ianmkent wrote:

I intend to bring my three cars with me when I move to Belgium. One is a classic carthatbI only drive for fun the other two are for travelling back to the UK. I have checked with my insurance pocily and as long as I bring the car back to the UK every 12 months it will remain valid. I intend to go back to the UK every couple of months anyway. I brought a nulber of cars in Holland and found that unlike the UK the cars were often neglected and over priced. I lived there for six years and drove a UK registered car for most of the time. I assume the Belgiums like the Dutch do not pay much attention to UK registerd cars?

Hi,

Belgian legislation is simple. If you register as a foreign resident in Belgium, you have the obligation to register all your cars under Belgian plate within three months. Spend this time, you are likely to pay a fine during a police check.

For the vehicle registered as an ancestor, I have no information of which I am certain.

It's not just about insurance. It is also a tax issue.

If you are registered as resident and did not register your car in Belgium, you will have problems if you are stopped by the police. It is not because your Insurance is not valid, but you are living here and you are avoiding paying taxes, which can be considered as tax evasion.