The best way to find English Teaching jobs in Medellin?

Hello,

I am new to Medellin and I am currently searching for work as an English teaching. I am British, TEFL qualified and I have a degree. I am currently sending out my CV however I am not sure the best way to contact them (By email, in person etc) and I am also struggling to find any jobs advertised online. I have been told by many there is a huge demand for English teachers here so it must be something I am missing.

If you have any advice regarding the best places to contact, how to find work or if you know anywhere that needs a teacher please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Sam

SBGuia wrote:

I am new to Medellin and I am currently searching for work as an English teaching. I am British, TEFL qualified and I have a degree. I am currently sending out my CV.  However I am not sure the best way to contact them (By email, in person etc) and I am also struggling to find any jobs advertised online. I have been told by many there is a huge demand for English teachers here so it must be something I am missing.

If you have any advice regarding the best places to contact, how to find work or if you know anywhere that needs a teacher please let me know.

Welcome to the Medellín and Colombia forums, Sam.

Colombians are eager to learn English .. want to go to the U.S. .. and don't seem discouraged yet by any anti-U.S. immigration talk from you-know-who.

Here's something you can do today, presuming that by being "new to Medellín," you mean that you are here already.

Show up at the #1 candidate school you have identified so far .. and seek out the English department.

Tell security you'd like to meet the head of the English department.  Bring some paperwork such as your TEFL diploma or a copy of it.

When you meet the department head or whomever, find out about openings or potential openings or part-time openings.  If there's nothing open, interview him/her about the best English schools, places where Expat teachers are welcomed, how to find openings, etc.

Another option:  try to get into the teachers dining area and network your way to success.

Tomorrow:  rinse and repeat, perhaps at another school.   Or .. use the new information you gather today to adjust your strategy.

cccmedia in Medellín

Thank you for this.

Yes I guess that is my best approach. I honestly though in the world we live in using the resources online or contacting via email might be easier. However it seems like this might be better the old fashioned way and just turn up. A bit laborious but if it gets me a job then it will be worth it i guess.

Sam

In fact, I would use any opportunity to get known by the hiring decision-makers at the schools.

Years ago, in Chiang Mai, Thailand, I used to shoot baskets on the basketball court at a technical school for Thai teenagers in the hour before classes started in the mornings.

The head of the English department introduced herself to me .. and, about a week later, she told me the school would be interested in hiring me to teach English.

I had no TEFL diploma .. wasn't looking for a job .. and was only going to be in the city for a few more weeks.  Her interest in me was based on a few brief conversations in English on that Thai basketball court.

cccmedia in Medellin