Best ways to avoid loneliness when you are abroad

Hi all,

I am planning to move abroad (Sweden). Moving to a new place means new people, culture and values in all that how can one avoid loneliness. I need your first hand experiences people....

Surely you must have interests, hobbies, etc?  You can seek out groups or places in Sweden where you can carry out those things and meet others that share the interests.  That's one way to establish a social circle.  Also you'll probably meet people professionally, and depending on the circumstances you can perhaps invite some colleagues out for a drink or meal.

Just get out there and do SOMETHING as much as you can.  You can't avoid loneliness to well staying in a flat or chatting on websites :)

Just casually talk to people. Have a nice small chat, not the "weather" stuff. I'm easy to talk to so that works well for me.

Hi how are you

mudimelaramesh wrote:

Hi how are you

This isn't a chat room, do you have something to contribute to the topic??

romaniac wrote:
mudimelaramesh wrote:

Hi how are you

This isn't a chat room, do you have something to contribute to the topic??

Just ignore it. Seems many guys like to send messages with just a "hi" in it. Booooriiiinggg af!

I think you have had the courage to move from your home, all comforts and surroundings you can and will be able to adjust over time, maybe keeping a journal or log events, that way you can pass some of the time eventually you may not have much spare time to take a look around as busy life might catch you up, you will need to try and take an interest within your new community, I've traveled solo quite a lot, I've found it isn't much fun drinking alone in the bar or hotel room, but I always seem fine while I keep active, so my advice in my own personal opinion is keeping busy, either way I wish you good luck, if you want to message me I will be glad to share a story or opinion?
Regards Steve.

Someone once told me that no matter where I go I cannot run from myself.

I think when moving to a new place it is a good idea if you can just come in with eyes of a child. You know how they have so many why's and get excited and just want to go and explore?? I believe this kind of attitude could help a lot.

You will be fine !! just try to push yourself, go out, meet new people, share your experience and knowledge, feed on the experiences. You are going to have an amazing time!!!

The most beautiful adventure is about to start :)

You can always ask if there are any Expats in your chosen area. Then you can meet up and explore your new surroundings.

Check out local coffee shops/cafes and get chatting to locals, best thing to overcome homesickness is always to keep busy.

totally agree with you.

I usually play snooker, going to exhibitions, concerts and some volunteer works. that's this almost saves me from loneliness ;)

Is there a hostel around with a bar?

I think RadisonBlu have bar

Volunteering  usually will put you in contact with other Expats as well as locals.  A good starting point.  I know we did lots of volunteer work when we moved and built quite a network of friends by doing so.

Bob K

Join a gym - you'll meet a ton of ppl and stay healthy and if in a business - it is a good way to network

hang out in pubs.

Agree with Bob K.

Absolutely right, but in Oman it's difficult to find that kind of work...cuz they don't want to do anything in free :D

As it's in Sweeden and voluntary work has been said, these links might be of help. or help.

https://www.gooverseas.com/volunteer-abroad/swedenhttp://www.anyworkanywhere.com/vol_se.htmlhttps://www.workaway.info/hostlist-SE.htmlhttp://www.oneworld365.org/volunteer/sweden

Hmm the only place I have ever felt lonely was Dresden Germany. Any links on that?

explore the place and enjoy your own company :) Stay sane :)

Enjoy get together with me. xxxx in English only. :):cheers:

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you

:)

raun cesar wrote:

Hi all,

I am planning to move abroad (Sweden). Moving to a new place means new people, culture and values in all that how can one avoid loneliness. I need your first hand experiences people....

There surely is not set or perfect suggestion but I've actually met men and women even back in my past country that became widowed and became quite lonely.  To combat the loneliness and the almost guaranteed depression that came with it they started 'intentionally small' businesses. For instance I know a man who opened a coffee bar ...and he 'intentionally' evolved the business to where it broke even but did not really make much money...yet for him it provided countless opportunities to meet new people who came in and ...perhaps were alone also.....soon he had a regular sortie of regulars especially other retired men his age who would stop by for a coffee and chat for a minute or an hour....sort of a alcohol free alternative to going at sitting at a bar and waiting to have someone to talk to...and of course coffee works all day long and a bar is not a good option to hang at every day...not to mention they don't have western bars in VN. Haha.

I knew another woman similar in that she was widowed in her sixties with nothing to do and she turned her love for dessert into a dessert shop, cupcakes, fudge, etc. and encouraged people to sit at one of her tables and have their sugar hit right there in her shop...worked the same.  This particular woman told me that she tried volunteering at several orgs before she decided to become a first time business owner as she had been a wife, mother and part time school teacher for her entire life and she was honest that she frigging hated volunteering ....it irritated her .....just did not work for her.  She found the challenge of learning to create and operate a business to be very stimulating and she admitted she did not make much money but she did not lose any money...it was an organized sales supporting hobby to get her out of an empty house.

But don't miss my point... these two examples made a conscious decision to accept that their business would have to be kept to limits and thus little risks of capital and the goal was to break even...not put pressure on themselves to 'make something big'.

So you might want to consider such an idea but I'm not saying these two business ideas are suggestions...just real world examples I know of.

Some expats just marry a local and let themselves be rolled up as a wart on her family tree....it works for some I'm sure....it would not work for most.

I know an American man in Vung Tau that made an effort to become ...happily and voluntarily...a practising Buddhist at 60 something years of age after marrying a Buddhist in Vietnam and he has worked for over ten years now as a active teacher of English at a very large Buddhist temple....not to the public but the temple staff of which there are many many dozens...he is very proud of his work and valued by the temple as his work has helped them become an internationally enabled enterprise and effort. I remember him because he has found some balance as a foreigner in a foreign land for over ten years now... but he still seeks out expats a couple of times a month..sometime every week to have a beer, a western sandwich or a coffee.

For me it's a little easier....as long as I can read using the internet then I'm am happily occupied as the internet has unlimited things for me to learn or just waste time.  But hey that doesn't work for 99% of other people so I'm not suggesting anything than find your own space and time and dance in it.  My personality doesn't lend itself to just hanging with other just to 'not be alone' ...I'm a little antisocial I guess or perhaps 'stunted' some would venture.  To each their own of course.

I hope that I have contributed to your success as I truly understand your concerns having been off country now for nearing my fifth year.  I apologize if this post was a run-on sentence for many I just really felt compelled to contribute as I know this subject from my own life and I wish everyone a healthy and happy expat life.

your words are quite motivational and inspiring  :top:

hi there the keep urslef busy go to cinema drive if u can in country side on weekend when ur off work have coffee in busy places in town get in touch with ppl from ur country

raun cesar wrote:

Hi all,

You must be go slow with every step you are taking far from your home land, as you might be recognize the faces of people but hardly you can get what they are hiding behind their fake smile. So you should be nice to each other talk and try to know through chatting, or talk to them while you have some coworkers, neighbors, or join Gym, musical classes, etc, any hobbies which can give you chance to say Hi to new people... Wish you a happy and safe journey.. keep on touch with your web friends those are honest with you, maybe you need them for advice or kill your time while no one there to wiped your tears.

This topic has been brought up before, take a look here for some other ideas.  :top:

I think all above mentioned ways to avoid loneliness are very useful and you can avoid feelings of loneliness by keeping yourself busy in one or more than one ways mentioned above.

I feel there is, last but not least, one way to avoid loneliness is to find a girl who can marry you and you can decide before marrying whether she will go along with you back to your country or she will stay behind in her own country, even if she has some off spring from you. This all depends upon the agreement between you and her, but it should be decided before marriage. Also keep in view the marriage laws of the country so that no complication arises when you depart from your spouse.

Hi Best way to spend time on aboard is to make local friends and visit places and eat  street foods with local people.

I agree.  You should meet local people.  It will help you in many ways-you will learn the langaue faster,  you will discover 'hidden'places which only local people will know..

Since people take themselves everywhere they go, then a state of loneliness is a situation directly resulting from personal lifestyle choices.

People are fundamentally the same, world-wide, regardless of their cultural, or even language differences. People who take their own "interesting" lifestyles to a foreign country, will invariably met local people, with whom they'll have much in common to share. Ciao :cheers:

You've got so many options. Church, coffee, meeting strangers in the park... Just get out and go do something.

You're less likely to feel lonely when you're not alone.

Here's what I would say. You're already digging yourself a hole, so to speak, by asking how to overcome your loneliness when you haven't moved yet! :)
People are friendly, both Thais and ex-pats. Visiting recently as a solo tourist, and a somewhat shy person, I had no problem connecting with interesting friendly people.
As an expat, the most important bit of advice is, learn the language, get to know the locals, don't waste your time "pining for the fjords", so to speak.

Though now I see you're going to Sweden. Apologies! General rules still apply!

one should do what they like.

Everyone has a different interest and we should try to do what keep us engaged.

Make friends, gym, outing, dance, sports, window shopping, swimming, movies, etc. There are many such things what can keep us busy. in short "Do what you like and like what you do"

Get into your job. You'll also find people there.

Hello,
I completely understand your worries. Each time I move to a new country I have the same problem. You are not alone. Most of my friends have the same challenge too. We try always to support each other in this moment and try new things all the time.
If you want to discuss more, I will be glad to talk to you.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : please register your blog in the blogs directory

is it your first time living in another country?

I cannot say anything except one fact that: you have to experience the culture shock journey which every one experience.

How to avoid Loneliness? That sounds impossible for me, since you HAVE TO EXPERIENCE LONELINESS in a foreign country and you have to live with it.

I do not try to give you advice here, since each person has different personalities which makes them to enjoy in different way.
- Why?
- Because living abroad can make you change your habits and thinking.

For my case, I quitted some hobbies and habit when I came to foreign country, so now those values I used to find happiest, does not fit to me anymore.

Some I know suddenly get closer to their home country, nurture their feeling with friends, family, etc... Some suddenly found they belong to that country and less care to home country's issues... Some suddenly feel tired and want to avoid people and crowded... Some suddenly want to have more fun and adventure.... Some suddenly found that they are charming only when living abroad where they can talk and be socialized.

You should prepare how you will experience Culture Shock (search it in google), then relax and open for uncertainty.

In fact, Depression and loneliness make you change yourself, and it's good. You suffered and you realized something you missed out and something you should have quitted long time ago. Explore all of aspects in your life to find how/where you find it happiest for you. Observe how loneliness change you and how you grow from it.

And, good luck to your "life changing" in Sweden, Enjoy and do not worry too much. Everything will be alright :)

Btw, I am also quite interested in Sweden.. They have good policy for expats.

Use social media and connect.

Set yourself a new challenge each day. It can be something small, such as buying a product you haven't tasted before or walking/driving a new route, or learning a few new words of a language, or booking a film/theatre ticket for a few days ahead (so you can't chicken out)...... get the gist....

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR