Keeping up with the news in Poland

Hello everyone,

Living in Poland provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Poland? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Definitely and only TVN24. It is the station least enveloped by government propaganda.

The other channel to watch is : Superstacja. Quirky one therefore gives many-sided views.

On TVN24:
"Fakty po Faktach" good program;
"Szkło kontaktowe" although the format is slightly annoying to me, this is also a good program to watch
"Loza prasowa": absolutely recommended by me. In my view it is the best news/political talk show in Polish television.

However, dear expats, you need to understand the local language to watch these programs.

I am fluent in 3.5 languages. I am tipple-lingual as my Russian is not as good as the other languages and I am dyslectic. Hence my spelling. I do know how hart it is to learn any language. If I could do that despite my shortcomings (I do not want to call the dyslexia a disability), you can do it as well. Learn the language if the country you want to live in and your live will be soooo much better.

Sorry for the plead above.

Returning to the topic. We have all international channels, so you can have them as well. BBC, CCN, Sky News, aljazeera...whatever you want is to be have in Poland.

I hope you enjoy the stay in this country. If not, let me know I will help

M

This is my belated answer to a good question.

If you're getting your news mostly in English, you could subscribe to the daily newsletter of The Warsaw Voice. It is objective and factual to a fault, with arresting headlines like "Widget output forecast to rise 3.6% this quarter", but amidst them are succinct and accurate stories on the politics that you hear your Polish friends squabble about.

The New York Times and The Economist (both offer limited free access) regularly report on Poland, though some complain that the latter, in particular, is one-sided, too aligned with opponents of the present regime. Many of these newspapers' critics make their case quite well on the comments boards, well worth perusing.

There used to be an excellent online weekly newspaper, New Poland Express I think was the title -- but its capable writers all have real jobs and had to suspend it.