Sports in South Africa

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in South Africa?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in South Africa?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

There is first soccer, rugby and then cricket

My favourite sport is soccer and its the most popular sport in south Africa.in second place its rubgy then cricket.soccer is played competatively in both africa and overseas

One other sport which has grown popular is athletics I have been a big fan of 2 oceans marathon and comrades marathon where the participants are drawn from different countries

Priscilla wrote:

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in South Africa?

To me, as an American transplant, that would have to be cricket. I've tried to explain it for expats here:
joburgexpat.com/2011/02/cricket-for-expats.html.

And for girls, it's Netball:

joburgexpat.com/2010/08/what-hell-is-netball.html.

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

A lot of sports is done through the schools. From Kindergarten (Grade 0 or nought) onwards the schools compete with each other in a variety of sports, most notably rugby, football (soccer), cricket, netball, swimming, athletics, field hockey, tennis. There are also clubs for more or less everything, but I would say that most kids are involved with a sport via their school. It's also very convenient as the schools provide transport to and from the competitions so that you don't have to, as a parent.

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

The country goes crazy over rugby and cricket. You only have to watch Invictus to understand the beauty of sports in South Africa.

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in South Africa?

The sport we  really came to love in South Africa was rugby: joburgexpat.com/2014/11/why-rugby-beats-football.html.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla