The best things to discover in South Africa

Hello everyone,

What have you discovered in South Africa that you would recommend to other expats?

Are there any places that you enjoy visiting on the weekends, be it areas of natural beauty or shopping malls? Are there any South African dishes that you would recommend?

What are some of the best activities in South Africa?

Are there any unique customs or places you were introduced to by locals that you think other expats might be interested in? Are there any local festivals that expats might want to get involved with?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Priscilla

first  I'm sudanese   l have been living  here since 2016. The most  what  I like  about  sa is infrastructure and gorgeous  cars. and the most  what  I don't like  and I have been noticed  is citizens  hate  foriengs.

I live in Pretoria, so this won't apply if you don't live near me, but...

As far as weekend stuff, one of our favourite places is Pilanesburg. It's like mini Kruger. They have all the big five there, and it's super easy to get to. We usually go up in the morning and return in the evening. Obviously Kruger is better, but it's also a lot more effort and planning to get there!

We also like going to Chameleon Village for shopping. The salespeople are super high pressure, but if you know approximately what things are worth, you won't get hosed.

I haven't had any South African food I've disliked yet, but one of my favourites is bunny chow! Make sure you go to some greasy food stand though- it's always better there!