Considering a job in Switzerland

Hi.

I´m thinking about a job I´ve been offered in Switzerland, in Stans, more exactly.

The gross salary would be 7500 CHF per month (13 payments) but I don´t know how good or bad it is. The net salary is, more or less, 6200. As far as I´ve seen, it´s not a bad one but, probably, not good either. I´ll try to live on my own, so a small apartment would suffice. What I want is to save money so I won´t be eating out very often. Please, can someone tell me whether it´s realistic or not saving 4000 CHF every month with these earnings?

Is possible to live there speaking only English? I mean, I´ve been told, for that job, English is enough but what about the rest? Your doctor, shops...

Thank you.

HomerJ wrote:

Is possible to live there speaking only English? I mean, I´ve been told, for that job, English is enough but what about the rest? Your doctor, shops...

Thank you.

Yes it is possible, but you'll likely struggle or be isolating yourself.  Learning German will be important if you really want to integrate and make the most of your time there.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

Thank you Romaniac.

Someone can say something about the salary?

Please, how much can be spent in buying food every month?

@ HomerJ > I invite you to have a look at the other topics on Cost of living in Switzerland section, it might really help you :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

Don't worry, it's a good salary for an only one person.

Thank you STEFFIFI.

Exactly, I´ve been told the wage would be between 7200 and 7400 CHF gross salary per month. I´m asking, among other things, because the hirer is concerned about nobody getting the job because of the salary. As I said, it´s in Stans, so, I think, nothing to do with Zurich or big cities. I think the salary is not bad hence I can´t understand the hirer´s point of view.

Can I buy a lamb leg in supermarkets? At what price?

Thx.

The salary you are going to get is very good for one person. With pensions, tax, AI and unemployment benefits it's about 22% that you should subtract. That will give you an idea of what you will get outlet month. So I would say without calculating about chf5000.
Rent depends on the area but could be anything from chf1000 to chf1800 per month for a single person, but for a family(3 bedroom place) it an be from chf1800 to chf3000 per month (this includes charges like heating and water). On top of that is health insurance which depends again on what you want but can be between chf300 to chf500 a month(health insurance is compulsory btw).

A leg of lamb will be expensive... About chf30-50... Meat is very expensive here. But with your salary you should be ok.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Tania

Tania, thank you very much for your thoughts. They really help.