I need to VENT!!!!

Ok…my neighbors are nice and all…or at least they are to my face…but they have no respect for anyone around them. After being woken up at 130am for the 3rd time in a row this week by a faulty horn on a semi truck…which went on until the horn ran out, not because the neighbor was good enough to get out of bed to shut it off…I've been pushed over the edge.... Is there some place I can go to find out just what my rights are and what's legal or not?

Let me start with my neighbor next door…she has 6 of those little dogs who bark ALL day …and to make it worse , she has them penned up in a small shaft which magnifies the barks!!! She's home all day…doesn't she hear them??? Does she not realize the whole neighborhood can hear them too?…or Maybe I shouldn't complain…she does take them in at night unlike most people.

The Neighbor across the street…Her kids take over when the dogs go in….She lets her kids stay out all hours of the night, even school nights, screaming at the top of their lungs. Again…doesn't she hear them? And isn't there a curfew for kids?

The family on the corner… The man owns a construction company and because of it, he feels he has the right to park all his heavy machinery and semi trucks on our small street. Not to mention the spare parts that spew over into other peoples property. I've overlooked alot of this but what I cant take is him loading and starting all his machines at 5am in the morning. Why must we all be subjected to this noise?

Last but not least…The neighborhood fish hawker!!! Can anyone please tell me why anyone needs fish at 6AM in the morning?  It wouldn't be so bad if he just used his voice to get peoples attention so early but he has to blast his horn over and over.

Gozo…the place people go for peace and tranquility….HA!!! Not on my street. Let this be a warning to all you newbee's to Gozo and Malta looking to buy property.…If possible…see if you can make a deal to spend a few nights in the property before you buy it or scout the place at different hours of the day to see exactly what goes on.

Ok...I feel better getting that off my chest...Sorry to be posting such a negative letter...mabye Im just suffering from sleep deprivation... All in all..I still love living here...I just wish I could take my house and move it to a nice quiet valley.

Hi mgrima68 :)

What a negative contribution about the area where you live!!! but the way you have elaborated it has made me laugh a lot :D:)... I personally thank you for that!

Am glad you are feeling much better now :)...

Regards!

OUCH...   I dont know what more to say....   By the way I was laughing at your descriptions as well....     :|    I think things like this are why firearms are not really allowed in most of europe. :)

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your noise problems. We know what you are talking about as you can follow in the previous thread about dog barking.

It seems to be a quite widespread nuisance in Malta and the only solution is to try and put your landlord under pressure that you will move out if he does not stop the dogs.

Find a Maltese neighbour who will go with you to the local police station to file a complaint.The police will make a visit to the dog owner and raise a finger.But that is all. If you are lucky that might impress the dog owner but probably not.

Contrary to all countries that I know in Malta the police cannot act on these things. So the next step would be to file the next complaint which would mean that the dog owner has to appear before court. Could take years though !And the outcome is uncertain , in fact our lawyer said that as foreigners we didn't have a chance of winning such a case.

In our case several Maltese neighbours are badly affected too and are considering going to court but we are not going to wait that long.

We just terminated our rental contract and will try and find a dog free locality!

I would also recommend a close look at any locality for possible future building activities nearby,student appartments close by,barking dogs within 100h (maybe talk to future neighbours about the area)and so on and put details in the rental agreement.

In our case , our landlord moved out himself because of the dog barking but it seems he had an agreement with the dog owner to keep them quiet whenever we looked at the premises as we did not hear a bark for the first weeks . Our neighbours told us afterwards that the dog problem had been going on for 2 years and was not new.

Our landlord is a district manager for a big real estate agent here in Malta so don't trust them in any way !

And make sure that your lawyer is a lot better than your landlords -)))

I wish you luck .

Ricky

And as to the firearms , we have been told by Maltese friends and neighbours that dog problems are solved with poisoned sausages and other methods ,tips and offers that we have received.

But we have decided not too.

anitfreeze works well to :)

I find the last two posts in extremely poor taste, and may give some idiot the idea to try poisoning as a solution to a barking dog.

Having had a dog die from poisoning, I only hope you don't suffer the agony of being poisoned one day. Its a slow and very painful death.