Very curious of why Americans chose to live in malta

@Julien

Hi. I'm an American visiting malta. Is it possible to meet with other Americans living in malta ?  Is this the right forum for this sort of engagement.?

Very curious of why Americans chose to live in malta, what drew them here, and what they do while here. Where do the Americans hang out here

Hi Robertsdinon,

Welcome on board !

I have created a new thread from your post on the Malta forum since you had a precise query. Well, yes the forum is used to discuss expatriation. Those who have already made the move try to help to be expats as much as they can. Americans or members in general will reply to your questions.

In any case, your post in now on the forum and it will be easily for members to interact with you.

All the very best,

Bhavna

@Julien
Hi. I'm an American visiting malta. Is it possible to meet with other Americans living in malta ? Is this the right forum for this sort of engagement.?
Very curious of why Americans chose to live in malta, what drew them here, and what they do while here. Where do the Americans hang out here
-@robertsdion

Here are a few Americans living in Malta permanently. Some years ago I met Sandra a woman from the north of the USA. She said she wanted to experience something entirely different from the USA.She did not have a car, but bought a house over here. However, after a few years she was fed up with Malta and went back to the USA. I really think Malta is a good tourist destination for Americans, but only a few want to reside here permanently. One reason to reside in Malta is our low crime rate. Another reason is the mild climate. However, a mild climate you will have in Florida too. We have seldom rain in Malta, but you have seldom rain in California too. The only reasons that remain is history and ancestry.  However, in this case I recommend to travel to Sicily and Italy regularly because that is where history comes from.

Hi

Hearing you there about Malta being a good tourist destination but I would not live here.

The weather is  not at all mild. Positively scorching in summer.

Love the low crime rates.

I would recommend meeting different people. South African expats are well educated  warm and welcoming.  Why not look further than making American friends:-)

Most americans here are linked to the embassy or the american school, few stay a long time due to that work.

Being an american expat is really difficult in general due to their tax system etc, also America is near the carribean so most tend to head that way.

Hi
Hearing you there about Malta being a good tourist destination but I would not live here.
The weather is not at all mild. Positively scorching in summer.
Love the low crime rates.

I would recommend meeting different people. South African expats are well educated warm and welcoming. Why not look further than making American friends:-)
-@nazarenekarodia

For sure in Malta more people have ZA connections than a USA background. It is not the common heritage, but the same traffic rules which makes Malta so popular.

Nevertheless Hispanic people from the USA are happy here too. They often have a common religion and Papa in Rome is not far away.

I have to disagree about the weather. It is not mild. Unbearable in July and August. Winter is torrential rain. I'm American but my mom is Maltese. I have family in Malta so that's one of the reasons I visit. I love Malta but would not like to live there. Very different culture and laws from USA. It has changed drastically since joining the EU. And not for the better either.

I have to disagree about the weather. It is not mild. Unbearable in July and August. Winter is torrential rain. I'm American but my mom is Maltese. I have family in Malta so that's one of the reasons I visit. I love Malta but would not like to live there. Very different culture and laws from USA. It has changed drastically since joining the EU. And not for the better either.
-@Jo1431

Whilst Malta does have occasional torrential rain it only has about 600mm or 24 inches of rain a year with only 100mm or 4 inches in each of the months of November, December and January.

Hardly as you describe and temperatures in the summer are not much different to that of many southern states in America and a hell of a lot safer!

-@Jo1431

Unearable compared to where? Consider for EU citizens who wish to move nearer to the med, places like Spain, Sicily etc are actually much, much warmer than here.  Winters also colder, we're very sheltered by size and the sea as the sea acts like a buffer.

Yes its hot here, but, for europe around the Med its actually quite pleasant compared to larger places.

Sure, I agree, those months are too much - and we leave Malta those months - but things here are better weather wise than quite a few other places that's easily accessible for Europeans.

-@Jo1431

We actually have quite a compressed period of heavy rain and as pointed out it's really not that much.  It seems like the end of the world every year as sliema and the usual suspects flood, but this is not because its vast amount of rain but because its downhil and there are no nature areas, green areas, no infrastructure to cope with it or divert it etc.  Winter in general is super pleasant (outside).

Hi there,

My husband is American and now has dual nationality with Malta.  I was born in Malta and spent a lot of time in America and now have dual nationality as well. 

When my husband retired at the end of 2020, we moved to Malta (from Florida), for a better qualaity of life, lower cost of living, low crime rate, fabulous food, history and cutlture and we got it all.  Yes, it gets a little steamy in summer, but so does Florida!  The Maltese people are absolutely wonderful and will do anything for you!

We're happy to chat, any time!

Take care!

Val and Eddie Herring

Hi there,
My husband is American and now has dual nationality with Malta. I was born in Malta and spent a lot of time in America and now have dual nationality as well.

When my husband retired at the end of 2020, we moved to Malta (from Florida), for a better qualaity of life, lower cost of living, low crime rate, fabulous food, history and cutlture and we got it all. Yes, it gets a little steamy in summer, but so does Florida! The Maltese people are absolutely wonderful and will do anything for you!

Take care!
Val and Eddie Herring
-@itchyfeet247

Whilst Joe 1431 is very critical about little Malta, despite his Maltese mom you seem to think different.Most remarkable is the statement of Joe that nothing has changed to the better after Malta joined the EU.

I came here first in 1976 and I adored the old British buses which were well restored. I came again in 2006 and there was hardly any physical change. However, after 2009 you could see the change.Many projects were partly financed by the EU.

If somebody thinks that is not a change for the better such a person wants Malta a remain  an exotic country with a third world standard of living between Africa and Europe. However, I am never surprised about opinions from the USA. Most amusing is to see  USA   advertisements about Malta. It often shows black people with dreadlocks whose name is Vella. I guess many USA Americans are not even sure where this little Malta is located. They may even support the idea of a Maltese  taxi driver who said he was working in Lybia from 1970 to 1975. He said that was the best time of his life and Malta should have joined Lybia to get a reasonable fuel supply. What about religion I asked him? He answered:" At one time we were all Muslims over here in Malta."

@robertsdion

Hi there,

My husband is American and now has dual nationality with Malta. I was born in Malta and spent a lot of time in America and now have dual nationality as well.

When my husband retired at the end of 2020, we moved to Malta (from Florida), for a better qualaity of life, lower cost of living, low crime rate, fabulous food, history and cutlture and we got it all. Yes, it gets a little steamy in summer, but so does Florida! The Maltese people are absolutely wonderful and will do anything for you!

Take care!

Val and Eddie Herring

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : troll
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct