Bring Non-EU parent to live permanently

Hi,

Is it possible for Non-EU parents of EU citizens to come over and live permanently in Belgium? I knew it was possible earlier but apparently some rules changed in 2011 but Im not finding any latest info about it.

Thanks for any input.

difficult i'm from belgium and i need also to many papers for my turkish husband

solexhonda wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible for Non-EU parents of EU citizens to come over and live permanently in Belgium? I knew it was possible earlier but apparently some rules changed in 2011 but Im not finding any latest info about it.

Thanks for any input.

Sorry, it is not possible anymore. Only spouse and children can come over to live with you permanently.  (ie, Family Reunion is restricted to only spouse and children).

Is it Possible to bring Non EU children which up 21 YO for living more than 6 months in Belgium? I am Indonesian and my husband Nederlander .We are in the process of registering in the gemeente huis and we already have a house rent in Antwerpen .If somebody knows about this please share it with us here...Thank you

:( Too bad, I'd have loved to have my mom over for 6 months or so. I think Schengen visa is the possibility for her now.

Thanks all for the replies.

@Aneesh. Im still not convinced that we can't still bring non-eu parents to live here. I was told it became a lot harder with stricter requirements but its still not impossible.

solexhonda wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.

@Aneesh. Im still not convinced that we can't still bring non-eu parents to live here. I was told it became a lot harder with stricter requirements but its still not impossible.

best of luck. :)

This is possible. Look for article 40 bis in belgium embassy's website.

Kateekatkat wrote:

This is possible. Look for article 40 bis in belgium embassy's website.

Do you have a link to the page you are speaking about ?

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 40bis.aspx

All they have to do is to prove that their parents are dependent on them.

The clause mentioning the dependents (other than own spouse) must be younger than 21 years to be eligible for family re-union ?

>As a general rule, a citizen of the European Union/the European Economic Area (EEA) who has the right to stay for more than 3 months in Belgium may be accompanied or joined there by their descendants and the descendants of their spouse or their partner, aged under 21 years for whom they are responsible, provided that they, their spouse or their partner has custody of them and, in the case of shared custody, on condition that the other person with custody has given their agreement.

As you pointed out, there is a link for ascendants.

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 40bis.aspx

I have no idea about the success rate of this procedure., Would be nice to hear if anyone applied and what was the result.

I might have sent you the incorrect link. My apologies *** Here's the link

https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Appl … 0bis.aspx0

I will send it on your inbox as well.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : post modified - please avoid upsetting others

Sorry, I was just trying to share what I knew so far, and my observation was based on the link for dependants.  I corrected the response based on the ascendants link I got later from you. ***

Thanks.

Hi everybody,

Just to remind you that we are all on a friendly platform to communicate and to share information.

Lets avoid comments that might upset other people please.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks for valuable informations you shared. I am looking for the answer of the same question. However, I couldn't access the links you shared about Article 40 Ascendant part. Could you please share the valid links if you have about the issue?

Thank you so much in advance.

Try using Google perhaps.

Thank you so much for your informative and helpful (?)(!) reply. I have already made that search in English many times before asking from here.

30 seconds.
https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/FR/Guid … ilial.aspx

Art. 40bis. [1 § 1. Without prejudice to more favorable provisions contained in the European laws or regulations of which the family members of the Union citizen may rely, the following provisions shall apply to them.
   § 2. The following shall be considered as family members of the Union citizen:
   (1) a spouse or a foreigner with whom he is bound by a registered partnership considered as equivalent to a marriage in Belgium, accompanying or joining him;
   2 ° the partner to whom the citizen of the Union is bound by a partnership registered in accordance with a law, and who accompanies or joins him.
   Partners must meet the following requirements:
   (A) prove that they have a long-term and stable partnership relationship duly established.
   The lasting and stable character of this relationship is demonstrated:
   - if the partners prove that they have cohabited in Belgium or in another country without interruption for at least one year before the application;
   - or if the partners prove that they have known each other for at least two years prior to the application and that they have provided proof of regular contact by telephone, ordinary mail or electronic mail, and Met three times during the two years preceding the application and that these meetings have a total of 45 days or more;
   - or if the partners have a common child;
   B) come to live together;
   (C) both be over twenty-one years of age. The minimum age of the partners shall be reduced to eighteen years when they bring proof of cohabitation of at least one year before the arrival of the alien joined in the Kingdom;
   D) be single and not have a lasting and stable partnership with another person;
   (E) not be a person referred to in sections 161 to 163 of the Civil Code;
   (F) [3] neither was the subject of a final decision refusing to celebrate the marriage on the basis of Article 167 of the Civil Code.] 3
   (3) the descendants and descendants of his spouse or partner referred to in 1 or 2, who are under twenty-one years of age or who are dependent on them, who accompany or join them, provided that the foreigner joins, His or her spouse or registered partner has the right of custody and, in the case of shared custody, provided that the other custodian has given his or her consent;
   (4) the ascendants and ascendants of his spouse or partner referred to in 1 or 2, who are dependent on them, who accompany or join them;
  (2) the father or mother of a citizen of the European Union who is a minor of the age referred to in Article 40, § 4, first paragraph, (2) in so far as he is dependent on him and Custody of it.] 2
   The King shall determine by a decree deliberated in the Council of Ministers the cases in which a partnership registered on the basis of a foreign law must be considered as equivalent to a marriage in Belgium.
   § 3. Family members referred to in § 2 who are citizens of the Union shall have the right to accompany or join the citizen of the Union referred to in Article 40 (3), provided that they fulfill the Condition laid down in the first paragraph of Article 41. Family members who are not citizens of the Union must fulfill the condition laid down in Article 41 (2).
   § 4. Family members referred to in § 2 who are citizens of the Union shall have the right to accompany or join the citizen of the Union referred to in Article 40 (4) (1), (1) and (2) °, for a period of more than three months provided that they fulfill the condition laid down in the first paragraph of Article 41. Family members who are not citizens of the Union must fulfill the condition laid down in Article 41 (2).
   The citizen of the Union referred to in Article 40 (4) (1) (2) must also prove that he has sufficient resources so that the members of his family referred to in § 2 do not become a burden For the social welfare system of the Kingdom during their stay, and a health insurance covering all the risks for the members of his family in the Kingdom. In assessing resources, account shall be taken of the personal situation of the Union citizen, which shall include, inter alia, the nature and regularity of his income and the number of family members in his care.
   The citizen of the Union referred to in Article 40 (4) (1) (3) may be accompanied or joined only by the members of the family referred to in § 2, paragraph 1, 1 ° and 2 °, and by His children or the children of the members of the family referred to in 1 ° and 2 °, who are dependent on him, provided that they satisfy, as the case may be, the condition of Article 41, paragraph 1 or 2. ] 1.
  [2 The family member referred to in § 2, paragraph 1, 5 °, must provide proof that he / she has sufficient resources to meet his / her own needs...