Scooter insurance

Hey everyone!

Ok, so I have arrived in Sosua and explored around a bit, and I'm ready to explore more!  I have a friend who is going to sell me his motorcycle (or scooter?) for cheap, so I am wondering about insurance.

Before anyone decides to lecture me, YES, I know that having a scooter/motorcycle is dangerous. I know how to drive a motorcycle- commuted to and from work in the US for years, and I rented a motorcycle on a monthly basis while living in Thailand, where they drive just as crazy as they do here.  Not trying to be a jerk but please don't waste my time (or yours!) telling me why I should buy a car instead, or not drive period.  You will not change my mind.  Unless you live near Sosua and have a car for sale for less than $300, in which case you might.  :D

I am wondering about how insurance works here?  Where do I go to get it?  What can I expect to pay?  Any advice would be awesome.  :)

Thanks!

My last bike was a Yamaha V-Star. Bought the insurance across from Productos at the tire - aleinment garage. Got my Marbeta there too.  Paid about $40 for the insurance.  Don't know if the system has changed.  Ride no matter what anyone says. It is always your choice & life.  I'm 75 & still ride, just not as fast & crazy as I used to.  The bikers creed ...... "RUBBER DOWN".  A part of it anyway. Always put a lid on your head.

Thanks Gypsy.  :)

Is that $40 per month?

no, for the year.

Please fix this problem.  Cannot open prior posts from the old ex-pat site! Can't reply to them, can't read them, there is no access to the old threads.  Pop up says server not found,  Everything is lost !!!!!!  Bring it back please.  Transfer ALL the old stuff to this site.  This kills dialogue important to many.  It is a bloody disaster. There are always bugs to be worked out with new sites, I understand, but that doesn't stop me from being very P-O-D. Please make it easy for us to access the prior posts. Thank you for rectifying this problem. ....A very large fart from the Tuba

Planner, did that just cost me my EB classification?  Oh, woe is me.  I'm back to serial status.

Gypsy yes this new system...SUCKS

Bob K

Yes you need in insurance and I am sure current rates are higher than $40 a year.

Check with Amber Guardian in Sosua.  We have our cars insured with them.

Bob K

Still can't get prior posts from former site, now to be clear, I pissed off! FIX IT  as soon as possible, also can't PM anyone from old site. Want to lose members? keep this crap up!

What about registration?

Yes need tags and registration as well.

Bob K

Gypsy, you need to calm down.  They have undertaken a massive changeover and it takes time to fix the bugs.  This is absolutely  normal with this type of change!

Thanks Bob,

Howdo I go about getting tags/registration?

I am not sure.  You can start at the city hall in Sosua.  The Motor vehicle office is on the left as you enter.  I would not be surprised if they did not send you to Puerto Plata.  But I would start there.

Bob K