New Hong Kong Expat Guide

Hi everyone!

We are pleased to inform you that the Hong Kong Expat Guide is now online.

Planning to move to Hong Kong? Check out all that you need to know on travel formalities, visas, work, accommodation, study, health care, taxes, etc.

If you have already settled there, find tips on how to open a bank account, transports, leisure, telecommunications, and many other topics.

Our aim is to provide you with all the necessary information to help you succeed in your expatriation project.

To read these articles, please click on the following titles:

Generalities
Discover Hong Kong

Formalities
Traveling to Hong Kong
Getting married in Hong Kong

Visas
Visas in Hong Kong

Work
Labor market in Hong Kong
Find a job in Hong Kong
WHV in Hong Kong
Internship in Hong Kong
Setting up a business in Hong Kong

Accommodation
Accommodation in Hong Kong
Buying a property in Hong Kong

Study
Study in Hong Kong

Health care
Health care in Hong Kong

Bank
Opening a bank account in Hong Kong

Tax
Taxes in Hong Kong

Transports
Transports in Hong Kong

Driver's license
Driving in Hong Kong

Removal
Moving to Hong Kong

Communications
Phones and Internet in Hong Kong

Leisure
Leisure in Hong Kong
Sports in Hong Kong

Miscellaneous
Traveling to Hong Kong with your pet
Lifestyle in Hong Kong

Feel free to post your comments or to write an article in the guide to share information with soon-to-be expats and those who already live in Hong Kong.

If you wish to share your expat experience in Hong Kong, contact us to participate in the Interviews section.

Enjoy the reading!  ;)

Hi
I read your remarks about opening a bank account in hk

I opened one at HSBC and i can tell you from my experience it was a pain in the butt

First you need of course your passport and also your address but you also need a second paper for ID purposes with your name on it and it has be you full name the same as your passport.

In canada on a driver license which i thought would be ok for second paper for id purposes was not because they have my initial on it not my full second name and my other documents have the same thing because in canada they never use the middle name except on your passport

so it is not as easy  as one two three for sure took me three trips to the bank and then i had to wait ten days for an ATM A CARD thats sent in the mail.
I checked a few other banks and it is same procedure.
To summarize you need two pieces of id with full name plus proof of address.