Moving to Jeddah - Which compounds are the best?

Hi All,

My husband and I are moving to Saudi Arabia - Jeddah in early January. I was hoping to ask for some help/advice on potential compounds.

Just to give you a little background about us - we are both Irish although currently living in Australia. I am 27 and Peter is 32. We're looking for a compound that is relaxing, good fun whether it be day trips or social opportunities and with good facilities (pool, tennis courts etc) however we would love to be in a friendly compound so as when he is away I can maybe make a few friends.

Also what is the cost of living and annual cost of housing?

Any other info for new residents please feel free to share - health system, networking etc etc.

Greatly appreciated in advance.

Tons of threads on the above topic if searched but since I'm bored at work I will help you out.

Cost of living is cheap in Saudi Arabia compared to other GCC states, but price of compounds are very high due to the facilities provided. 1 bedroom flat can easily start at 40,000 SAR annually up to 150,000 SAR which comprises of a 2-3 bedroom villa.

Compounds : Sharbatly, Saudia City, Arabian Homes (famous with westerners), Murabustaan, Nada Village etc.

Health care is provided by your employer, women can't drive, it is easy to meet new people in compounds, most compounds have shuttle services running to the malls, no movie theatres, lots of people take up on diving as leisure, private resort is where it's at, and since you're Irish you will miss Guinness :D

You and Peter will be fine here.

Sharbatly

That's great!!! Thank you. Think were moving to sharbatly but not till the new year. Look forward to catching up over there.

niamh.iball wrote:

That's great!!! Thank you. Think were moving to sharbatly but not till the new year. Look forward to catching up over there.

I will be waiting for the invitation to the house warming party  :cool: