Accomodation for Indians

Hi,
Is there any specific locality for Indians in Jeddah? I read a lot about advantages of living in compunds? What are the disadvantages of living outside a compund - because I see a big difference in rentals between houses in compounds and houses outside compunds. What is the rental for a 2 BHK house in a compound and outside a compound?

Hello indian142521.

In meantime, you can go through the other threads on the Accommodation on the Jeddah forum. It can help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks very much. I will go through :)

Advantages (Compound) - Security for you and your family, Sports & Recreation facilities (like Gymnasium, Swimming Pool), Restaurants, School for kids, etc.

Disadvantages (Compound) - Very expensive (at least for me)

Thanks again Ghanshyam. Whatever I have read in various blogs is that not many Indians prefer to stay in compounds, because of the cost. Generally, people from the West stay in compounds. Like many other Indians, my prime intention is savings. Are there any issues (security/safety) if we stay in a flat/apartment outside of a compound in Jeddah? I saw photos of ads of "flats/apartments for rent outside a compound" - they seemed pretty decent.

On a general note, how much rent would it be for a 2 BHK flat/apartment IN A COMPOUND?

indian142521 wrote:

Thanks again Ghanshyam. Whatever I have read in various blogs is that not many Indians prefer to stay in compounds, because of the cost. Generally, people from the West stay in compounds. Like many other Indians, my prime intention is savings. Are there any issues (security/safety) if we stay in a flat/apartment outside of a compound in Jeddah? I saw photos of ads of "flats/apartments for rent outside a compound" - they seemed pretty decent.

On a general note, how much rent would it be for a 2 BHK flat/apartment IN A COMPOUND?

Hey I'm not an expert on this subject. Don't rely completely on what I say.

But the others on this forum would have put more accurate information in the posts you had read.

Indians won't prefer if they have to pay and stay in a compound. But if your company provide a house, then ask for it to be given in a compound.

If the company gives you money (for accomodation) then you are better off in an Apartment.

Compounds start from SR. 50,000 per annum or so. I'm not staying in one. So I cant give the exact amount.

All the best :)

I agree with Dave, Usually Indians dont stay at compound becoz of the cost factor. :(

But chances of getting a 2-BHK for 50,000/- in a compound is next to impossible. At Riyadh a 2-BHK would set you back by around 1,50,000/- in a good compound !!

Good Luck :)

saimans wrote:

I agree with Dave, Usually Indians dont stay at compound becoz of the cost factor. :(

Good Luck :)

Thanks Saimans.

I'm about to change all that. :whistle:

Hi Saimans,

Are there any security/safety issues if I stay with my family in a flat/apartment, outside of a compound, in Jeddah?

How are you planning to change that Ghanshyam?

indian142521 wrote:

With all the money I will save here and earn from helping you, I can afford Compound some day :)

indian142521 wrote:

Hi Saimans,

Are there any security/safety issues if I stay with my family in a flat/apartment, outside of a compound, in Jeddah?

As such there are no safety issues involved, though your family would feel a little restrained being inside the house/apartment for most part of the day.... The reason for that is you need a reliable taxi driver or yourself to take them out for any need, Just think of that.... No other issues apart from that !!:)

INSHA ALLAH !!! you will have a compound sooner than later.

ghanshyampdave wrote:
indian142521 wrote:

With all the money I will save here and earn from helping you, I can afford Compound some day :)

You may have been all your life in Chennai, But your Heart is of Gujrati !! :lol::lol:

Okay. Thanks Saimans. Anyhow, I will be alone for the first 3-4 months. Then, I will have a better idea of the place and also some money to pay advance for a compound.

Ghanshyam is as enterprising as any Gujarathi can be !!!

Thank you Indian14521. Celebrate your birthday well, next month :)

@Saimans - I prefer calling myself a poor Indian guy, because Gujarathi gives the impression that I'm somehow rich. :/

indian142521 wrote:

He started his side business as soon as he saw the opportunity !! :P

But my advise is try to get the compound through your company, if not stay away from that. The main motto for coming to the land of sand is MONEY.

Set your Target - Earn - Enjoy (Travel) while earning - Save - Leave

ghanshyampdave wrote:

@Saimans - I prefer calling myself a poor Indian guy, because Gujarathi gives the impression that I'm somehow rich. :/

No No No - You are no longer Poor Indian - First you are an NRI and Second you are an Ice Cream eating Shiekh !! :)

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

No No No - You are no longer Poor Indian - First you are an NRI and Second you are an Ice Cream eating Shiekh !! :)

What kind of a Sheikh is ever single ?

You hit the nail on the head Saimans. My intention is also absolutely the same.

BTW, which part of India are you from?

saimans wrote:
indian142521 wrote:

He started his side business as soon as he saw the opportunity !! :P

But my advise is try to get the compound through your company, if not stay away from that. The main motto for coming to the land of sand is MONEY.

Set your Target - Earn - Enjoy (Travel) while earning - Save - Leave

:one

Somehow, I keep forgetting this.

I'm going to print this (pls grant access) and put it in from of my office seat.

indian142521 wrote:

Believe me its not that tough, Early 3-4 months you might feel to be out of place till you get used to the system and laugh off at almost everything and would have a new set for friends....

BTW, I'm from Mumbai.... But roots are from somewhere North !!

indian142521 wrote:

He is also an Indian. All Indians have the same intention always ($$$)
Meet him for a squash game he'll tell you which part of India he is from ;)

ghanshyampdave wrote:

I'm going to print this (pls grant access) and put it in from of my office seat.

I have also a little bit of Gujarati in me, SO I will charge you also 10% for this !! :lol:

ghanshyampdave wrote:
indian142521 wrote:

All Indians Expats have the same intention always ($$$)

Not only for Squash but for e-parties too... How can you forget dave ?? BTW when is your next meet planned ??

Yes, I agree. I stayed for more than 4 years in Mumbai. Mumbai can be very tough - travelling in the local train, the monsoons. I always believed that if somebody withstands the pain of Mumbai (even though I consider Mumbai the best place from the prefession point of view), he/she can adjust anywhere.

One more thing comes to my mind - the academic year for schools is Sept to June in Saudi, but is from June to April in India. Would that be a problem, when I want to come back? I see that there is DPS in Jeddah. Which schools are good for Indians?

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

I have also a little bit of Gujarati in me, SO I will charge you also 10% for this !! :lol:

Ha Ha. I'll bring it with Ice creams (minus the salty flavors) :)

Guys, I am not an NRI yet!!! I am still not earning SARs. So, please spare me from the consultancy charges for now.

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:
indian142521 wrote:

All Indians Expats have the same intention always ($$$)

Not only for Squash but for e-parties too... How can you forget dave ?? BTW when is your next meet planned ??

I've no clue, to be precise.
We came up with so many ideas in our previous meet, will post asking for it on the Khobar forum for that.

And about your E-Parties ??? You are the one hosting them Or has the newly appointed SEO taken charge for this ?

It's time we got real and meet :D

indian142521 wrote:

One more thing comes to my mind - the academic year for schools is Sept to June in Saudi, but is from June to April in India. Would that be a problem, when I want to come back? I see that there is DPS in Jeddah. Which schools are good for Indians?

Sept to June is for Saudis, For Indian School its from April to March, like any other Indian City.. But the vacation period is June July !! The standard of education is OK OK or I should say average.. DPS is good, but I don't have much Idea about Jeddah. :)

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Take the lead, I'm game for it... Come to Riyadh !! :)

saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Sure, I have another friend in Riyadh (A colleague from my early days in India). If he does not come to Dammam for Ramzan, I'll come there to Riyadh. Let's see how many join in.

Lot of work to do...

indian142521 wrote:

Okay. I will be alone for the first 3-4 months. Then, I will have a better idea of the place

Thats Exactly what I did !! :top:

ghanshyampdave wrote:
saimans wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Sure, I have another friend in Riyadh (A colleague from my early days in India). If he does not come to Dammam for Ramzan, I'll come there to Riyadh. Let's see how many join in.

Lot of work to do...

We have 3-4 people here ready to meet !! Place can be managed !! :)

Sorry for being :offtopic:

Oh yeah, let's create two new threads :)

Yes there are special areas for Indians. Sharfia and Azizia. Sharfina is very close to city center, every type of shops are there. Aziza, there is a school for Indians. If u need any inforamtion about Jeddah, just send me an email. [email protected]
regards
Charles Alexander