Quality accommodation other than the usual compounds?

I am considering a move to Jeddah for a job offer.

I will be bringing a wife and 1 year old daughter. We are born and brought up in London but our heritage is Pakistani.

I have researched living in the compounds (eg. Arabian Homes, Sharbatly etc.).

However, I wanted to find out more about the options for living outside the compound / in the cheaper compounds

Does anyone have any suggestions for good areas to live in or suggestions for villas / apartment complexs where there is a good community for my wife to integrate into.

In a good compound I know my wife and child will be fine as all the facilities they need will be available and she can have a great social life.

Are there any alternatives to consider outside just so that we could save money? The main concern would be to be near commercial areas, good playgrounds etc.

I looked at one online JOne residence which is an apartment complex which has a simple playground, nursery, cinema. It looks nice and new but is there much of a community in these types of places. I was worried the wife would get bored if the community isn't right or it isn't spacious enough to wonder around outside vs somewhere like a big compound like Sharbatly Village or Arabian Homes.

(Although I've just read a bad review about JOne elsewhere and it being empty and poorly looked after so maybe rule that out lol)

I've seen that compounds no longer seem to have waiting lists does that mean that there is less demand. I don't want to end up in an empty new complex.

What would rent be in such places? Just to compare, the compounds for a 3 bed are working out at 150k+ SAR per year.

Hi Gentleheating,

I could see that youre interested in compounds in Jeddah?

I have a friend who lives at Mura Bustan Compounds. The place is very nice, perfect for families and their safety.

Thanks Robert

Mura Bustan is one of the many good compounds that I am aware of along with the likes of Albasateen, Arabian Homes, Sharbatly etc.

The reason I posted in this thread was to get an idea of any non-compound options. Whether it being serviced apartments, apartment complex type compounds or just stand alone villas but in good areas.

I wanted to explore the feasibility of finding something cheaper but with enough around to keep the wife and daughter occupied.

Hi, where did you finally settle in Jeddah. Seems I am in same dilemma to opt for large compounds or smaller complex hence your feedback would be nice. Thanks

Hi Gentleheating

Any recommendations? I'm considering moving to Jeddah too?

Thanks

Tariq

Ive left jeddah now but here are some resources.

Hybridcamel.com is a good start point to get an idea of the different compounds out there and budgets and locations then take it from there.

Here are some off the top of my head and I have see alot of them

High end :

albasateen (they have main compound or nearby cheaper apartments which give easy access to compound)

Arabian homes

Belleview and Al Hajrayn are nice too

New and mid range : Jone. Lots of other new developments around too 67 estate, sakina, and I'm sure others too

Mura Bustan nice and green but poor old homes let it down

Al Zahra, gondola, nueva andalucia

Other older ones lotus 4, continental, saudia city, sari palm, sharbatly

Here are some estate agent contacts too but I would start by browsing places yourself as you can speak directly to each of the above compounds. Only go to agents if the above aren't getting you the right place (as agents take a fee)

Abu bakr ***

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Kindly share contact details of the professional via private message please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I lived in alBasateen nice but expensive. If I had stayed longer term I may have moved to somewhere like Jone for half the price. Its a tricky one as depends on personal preferences such as budget, work location, desired facilities on site and schools.

Housing standard is important to us and alot of compounds are let down by being old but some people don't care about those things.

Also certain compound may be dominated by certain communities if that's important to you for family reasons so it's good to ask about who lives.

Jeddah is developing fast and there are a lot of new developments appearing which I haven't seen. You will get the best idea once you are on the ground.

@gentleheating Salam, any advice for British-Pakistani expats moving to Jeddah on best location(s) to live? I'm happy to drop you a private message (once I work out how this forum actually works)!

@Guest8291 Salam - have you managed to find a suitable compound for yourself? We've just moved from the UK to Jeddah, and also struggling to find accommodation to suit us. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

@guest8291 - I don't think I heard back? Did you find anything then?