Cost of living in Ukraine

Hanson wrote:

Hi!

I am planning on moving to the Ukraine by October if possible. I a professor of history and I was offered a teaching position (teach English) in Dnipropetrovsk. They are offering 4,000 - 8,000 UAH per month to start (private English teaching school).

Hi!
Just to give you idea from my point of view and then you can estimate the level of greed the hosting party. Apartment rent  would be at least 400$ for 2 bedroom. Monthly food at least 150$ for one person if to eat at home only.
Double Cheeseburger and a Coffe at MacDonald's is around 1.5-2$.
Regular Gas 92(= 87) = 3.45$/Gal.

Classicjunk wrote:

Yes, she is looking into a flat for us because even if I looked online I have no idea of what kind of nieghborhood would be acceptable to her.

There is a quiet neighborhood and not so far from downtown in Nikolayev.

I still would like to get a vehicle while there.

That's absolutely reasonable.  An increased mobility will give much more opportunities as well as better visual perception of this country . For the purpose, a truck like Dodge Ram 2500 will work just fine.

I was wondering about auto insurance there.  Any advice on that?

Insurance is just additional tax of Government on the engines' displacement and nothing else. A full size truck presence and relevant driving habits are much better Insurance. That's not an issue at all.

We will also be fixing up a cottage in the village across the river that she had inherited when her father passed this last August.

It sounds like you're well established in this country and then you definitely need a truck.

We havent completly made up our minds as to where we will live, USA or Ukraine, we have time to think this over.  Either way I will be happy as long as we are together.

IMHO Living in own house with a land lot makes a huge difference. With such opportunities, I would recommend to try to live in Ukraine first.

It's beautiful country and beautiful people.

Well educated.

Good quality and that standart of life that cheap.

inconceivable.

If thay solve certain problems,especially car ownership for foreigners,many retairies will come and settle to Ukraine.

And thay will spend their monthly salaries and contribute remarkable benefit to local businesses.

some of the info on Kharkov, the second largest city in Ukraine:

apartment from 400 USD -  2 rooms
Internet 100 -  20 USD
Food every week  min - 400 USD monthly per person
communal costs 250-350 USD
Car +-50 USD per week

but of course it also depends on your preferences - some people may spend just 200 USD monthly on food and be happy. some (like me) spend $500+ as I like restaurants.

HI rena and everyone

I would be in kiev after 2 weeks and i am looking for 1 bedroom flat to rent in the center.can i get anything for around 450$????

I do not know anything about kiev and the prices in internet very expensive

thanks

Hi carimof,

You can browse the Kiev Classifieds >Accommodation >Flats for rent to have an idea of the prices and you post an ad therein requesting a one bedroom flat.

Regards

Hello,

I am looking to live in Ukraine.  I notice last years cost of living.  Can anyone give me an update on current cost of living? 

Kiev?

Karkov?

Sumy?

Poltava?

How is the inflation rate?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi
I live in Odessa.
I can give some information cost of living in Odessa:
Rent flat : about 250 - 300$\month (i pay 250$)
Meal for 2 person \month :  about 250$
Transport 0.25$ one ticket in one way in city.

What else you interested in ?

I am living in Kyiv on $650 per month for basic expenses. 

Rent:  Generally rent is $250 if you live with a roommate, #500 if by yourself.  I got a deal for $300 per month 1 room apartment by myself but this price is rare to find, had to know somebody.

So it's about $350 for other things (supplies, food, cell phone, internet and transportation).

Ukraine is a class based society I'm told, so some people have inherited apartments from the Soviet days, and the landed gentry so to speak can afford to live on less than those who don't have this benefit.  I think the government subsidizes this landed gentry's apartments through utility subsidies as well.  This is just what I was told, don't know if it's true!

Hi thanks for the information what type of visa do you to stay longer then 90 days.

Thanks

david

Interesting to see so many replies from people out in the country side!  Wow, it must be 'interesting'.  First of all you need to divide two things:  local or foreign and then living according to local or foreign standards of living.  I especially find Rena's answers ... ummmmm ... entertaining.  All below considers Kyiv.

1.  local/local -- you easily live on $500 a month.  how? you got a free apartment and free dacha from the USSR.  All/most income is black.  $300 for shoes, $150 for food, $50 for vodka.  LOTS and lots of young people live with their parents and/or grandparents.  except Rena of course.

2 local/foreign --  this is how everyone wishes they lived/thought.  no limits, no morals.  sure we all know many of them, but they constitute <1% of the population.  they certainly are the most visible however.  >$25,000 a month in monthly expenses alone.  Restaurants, drinks, ummmm 'cocktails', etc.  sushi lunch for two (business) cost me $220 the other day. deal with it.

3.  foreign/local -- seems like many of the foreign posters here.  i have no idea how you can so severely downgrade your living standards to such a level and be comfortable once you know life in the west.  sure it's possible and sure you can live cheap.

4.  foreign/foreign -- you're a foreigner, you wouldn't mind having (almost) the same standard of living as in the west.  There are no suburbs, so to be anything like the west = centre of town.  Also, everyone I know in the west goes occasionally for sushi.  $220 sushi?  of course not ... but this is the trade off in Ukraine and the whole point of the discussion.  live local = cheap, live foreign = expensive.  Do not move to Ukraine to upgrade/maintain/or even slightly decrease your standard of living.  If you move to Ukraine you WILL greatly reduce your standard of living or greatly increase your expenses to maintain it.  Period.  No exceptions.  Why move?  adventure.  girls.  to make obscene amounts of money (no, don't be an english teacher).  Foreigner living to 'normal' western living standards $8,000 - 12,000/month.

Frontiersman wrote:
Hanson wrote:

Hi!

I am planning on moving to the Ukraine by October if possible. I a professor of history and I was offered a teaching position (teach English) in Dnipropetrovsk. They are offering 4,000 - 8,000 UAH per month to start (private English teaching school).

Hi!
Just to give you idea from my point of view and then you can estimate the level of greed the hosting party. Apartment rent  would be at least 400$ for 2 bedroom. Monthly food at least 150$ for one person if to eat at home only.
Double Cheeseburger and a Coffe at MacDonald's is around 1.5-2$.
Regular Gas 92(= 87) = 3.45$/Gal.

Jeez that is cheap. I though Berlin was decent, but that is good. Better salery than I'm getting at the moment too. Maybe I'll relocate!

SuperLight wrote:

Interesting to see so many replies from people out in the country side!  Wow, it must be 'interesting'.  First of all you need to divide two things:  local or foreign and then living according to local or foreign standards of living.  I especially find Rena's answers ... ummmmm ... entertaining.  All below considers Kyiv.

4.  foreign/foreign -- you're a foreigner, you wouldn't mind having (almost) the same standard of living as in the west.  There are no suburbs, so to be anything like the west = centre of town.  Also, everyone I know in the west goes occasionally for sushi.  $220 sushi?  of course not ... but this is the trade off in Ukraine and the whole point of the discussion.  live local = cheap, live foreign = expensive.  Do not move to Ukraine to upgrade/maintain/or even slightly decrease your standard of living.  If you move to Ukraine you WILL greatly reduce your standard of living or greatly increase your expenses to maintain it.  Period.  No exceptions.  Why move?  adventure.  girls.  to make obscene amounts of money (no, don't be an english teacher).  Foreigner living to 'normal' western living standards $8,000 - 12,000/month.

I read you post on YOUR cost of living in Kyiv and your post of selling “Elite apartment”.
$8K-$12K per month that quite a lot even for Kyiv.

I wonder if you ran out of money having YOUR standards of living in Kyiv. Are you going back to Canada to save money now?

Could you enlighten us what “made you bankrupt” in Ukraine?

Thanks

Here is a site that many of you will find very helpful.  The information is current and it's easy to find the cost of living in many places around the world.  It's an excellent tool and easy to use.  Enjoy.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Hello,

Some posts (off topic) have been removed. Please concentrate on the initial subject = Cost of living in Ukraine.

Thank you

I'm considering a re-location to L'viv therefore I would appreciate insight on the cost of living and 'life as an Expat' in that region of the Ukraine.

Considering moving to Chernovtsy (Chernivtsi), perhaps trying it for 12 months to see how well I adapt.  Have read conflicting information regarding cost of living.  Wondering how to really accurately determine true cost, how to locate a flat as well.  Thanks.

HI EVERYONE  I WANT TO SEND MY LADY AND HER DAUGHTER TWO WINTER COATS. I WAS THINKING TO MAIL IN TWO BOXES A WEEK APART WITH THE VALUE UNDER 100 US,EVEN THOUGH THE VALUE OF THE WOMANS JACKET IS MORE!!! WHATS THE BEST WAY TO POST BOXES? SHE LIVES IN BERDYANSK.  I HAVE HEARD THAT DHL AND FEDX  PRICES ARE VERY  VERY HIGH.  THANKS

HI AGAIN I ALSO WANT TO TAKE A MAC POWER BOOK. I SEE THERE IS A DOWNLOAD  THAT YOU CAN PUT RUSSIAN  KEYBOARD  ON YOUR MAC? HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? ALSO IF I TELL CUSTOMS IT IS MY OWN COMPUTER WILL I BE TAXED?

I highly recommend the US Postal Service. 

Choose either Priority or Express.  There is a step above Express, but it is crazy expensive like UPS and DHL. 
Express is usually 8-10 days.

It is trackable all the way through Customs on the other side. 
Strongly recommend that. Check your box size because there are limitations, though I don't recall off the top of my head.  You should be able to find it on the US Post Office website or by contacting them directly.

Priority is the second best choice, and the only higher end choice for some cities.  Postal Service can confirm when you try to send it.  I have had great success with this as well. 
It is trackable. 

I have never had anything lost or stolen using these methods.
I have had things lost / stolen using other methods. 

Pick up a couple (or more) Customs forms at the post office and fill them out in advance.  It does take some time.

Good luck.
M

scubabill wrote:

HI AGAIN I ALSO WANT TO TAKE A MAC POWER BOOK. I SEE THERE IS A DOWNLOAD  THAT YOU CAN PUT RUSSIAN  KEYBOARD  ON YOUR MAC? HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS? ALSO IF I TELL CUSTOMS IT IS MY OWN COMPUTER WILL I BE TAXED?

Can't help you regarding the Cyrillic keyboard layout on a Mac, unfortunately.

Are you taking two computers?  That may or may not be a red flag.  If taking one, they will not even ask.  In fact, I have taken my laptop multiple times stuffed in my carry on.  I've never even mentioned I had it when I arrived, and no one questioned it.

When I left, no question of it either.  Frankly, I do everything I can to not draw attention to myself.  Don't talk about prescriptions, to not put ANYTHING valuable in your checked luggage -- watch, computer, coins, jewelry, etc.  Keep it all in your carry on.

I should clarify.
When I left I did take it out for x-ray.
When entering I did not, and my bag was not checked.

M

I live in Krivoy rog .
Apartment = Gravener 1300 a month
Electric = 50
But the most STUPID  thing is Cloths are copy's and cost more than the real thing !!!!

There is no tax on your real things , If you what a Russia keyboard
. Just go to local supermarket and get one for about 20 grivener usb

I come to the Ukraine with my car and had 5 computers in the boot !!!
When the border Police looked , I said they were for the schools in the local area , That was OK !!!

Hello everyone.  I have enjoyed the posts here which are informative.

My basic question pertains to the cost of living in Odessa.  I am really sorry for the long story that follows, but I am struggling with an issue.

I have met a beautiful Ukrainian woman on the internet. (seems they all are, I know) I am very fortunate because, without telling the entire story, I managed this without using a marriage service or the like.  Nor was I looking.

I am an author and was looking for an image, and came across this persons image. Out of the blue, it was like a train ran over me. I was able to contact her, and through the best of my writing talents have managed to get her interest, and now her affections.  Neither of us would be the type to find someone on the other side of the world, but it happens and it happened to me.

She lives in Odessa.  She will not tell me anything too specific about her financial situation.  In part because she does not want me to think she wants money and in part because I suspect she is poor, and embarrassed about it. Embarrassed? She is very proud.

She lives in what she describes as a "room" which I believe is a studio, with her brother. They work in part to support their parents. Her parents live in a village an hour away. She does not have a computer or internet service at home.

She has asked me not to send her any any financial assistance when i offer. Whatever "minimum wage" is in Odessa she likely makes it.

I am trying to get a picture of the cost of living there and her situation.  According to the currency converter, 1000 UAH is around $125 USD today.  If I read correctly throughout the internet, the average monthly income in Odessa is around 2500 UAH? 

This drives me crazy because she can only send me brief e-mails several times a day, because the internet there is expensive to her. She uses it at the equivalent of an "internet cafe". We send pictures, and have skyped once.  I do not care about the limited internet or the number of contacts, I care about her standard of living, and her happiness.  She clearly cannot afford the internet, and I feel guilty because she spends her money on me. I also know she has a hard life, period, because of how she describes her life. I want to help her.

If she only makes 2500 UAH a month for her expenses, room food, etc, It drives me crazy because I usually have that much money in USD just sitting in my wallet every day for running around. I have 2 extra laptops sitting in my closet I never use. I just have so much more than her, and it would take so little to help her so much.  I hate that she struggles while I am financially secure.

She is very proud and does not want me to think she cares for me because I am American and could have money. I find that I feel guilty so I don't tell her too many details about how big my house is or how many cars I have (I collect Shelby mustangs and have 6!)  I think it would scare her away.

Bottom line is I am going to send her money anyway despite her protests for the last several months.  I don't get to take her to dinner and send flowers, so that is the happiness I send her.  But I am weighing the amount.  I don't want to send her too much and offend her, and I want to send enough to be seen as a gift - yet make a difference to her. She is proud and shy about this, and does not feel right that I would send her any money because we have not met in person, even though we e-mail all the time.

Any advice or help sorting this out would be appreciated.  mostly I want to know the real life expenses and standard of living in Odessa, so I can figure out how much in USD $ I should send.  One last question, is Western Union reliable for sending money to Ukraine?

Thanks so much for any help. Please do not impulsively lecture me about not sending her the money because I have struggled with this for months, and already decided I am sending it.  If it proves disastrous, I will learn my lesson that way, and not do it again.  I care too much about her not to help.

Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions i want to ask, hopefully somebody can help me.
Basically i have just finished my CELTA course and i have been offered a job in Kharkiv with International House.
they have offered me a part-time (initially) job paying 3000UAH a month with a rent-free apartment. my question is then, is 3000UAH a sufficient amount for me to live on monthly? i must say i am not familiar with Kharkiv or Ukraine, and the only reason for applying for the job was out of curiosity and the chance to see somewhere new, but i do know that Kharkiv is Ukraine's second city and therefore i assume it is probably similar to Kiev in prices.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Hanson, it is goodyou found a good job in the Ukraine. I have gave some real thought about retiring there. I am retired army and have a good army pension check and can live ok there just on my pension.

I would like any help you can give about finding a job there and getting a lonterm visa of some type?

Thanks

David

Kanakaman wrote:

Hello everyone.  I have enjoyed the posts here which are informative.

My basic question pertains to the cost of living in Odessa.  I am really sorry for the long story that follows, but I am struggling with an issue.

Any advice or help sorting this out would be appreciated.  mostly I want to know the real life expenses and standard of living in Odessa, so I can figure out how much in USD $ I should send.  One last question, is Western Union reliable for sending money to Ukraine?

Thanks so much for any help. Please do not impulsively lecture me about not sending her the money because I have struggled with this for months, and already decided I am sending it.  If it proves disastrous, I will learn my lesson that way, and not do it again.  I care too much about her not to help.

Odessa is not so expensive as Kiev however it is considered a large city. 500 USD must be an average salary there. Good luck.

andy44729 wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions i want to ask, hopefully somebody can help me.
Basically i have just finished my CELTA course and i have been offered a job in Kharkiv with International House.
they have offered me a part-time (initially) job paying 3000UAH a month with a rent-free apartment. my question is then, is 3000UAH a sufficient amount for me to live on monthly? i must say i am not familiar with Kharkiv or Ukraine, and the only reason for applying for the job was out of curiosity and the chance to see somewhere new, but i do know that Kharkiv is Ukraine's second city and therefore i assume it is probably similar to Kiev in prices.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Kharkiv is cheaper than Kiev. 3000 UAH must be enough there for living. But anyway it is not much.

M1A1 wrote:

Hi Hanson, it is goodyou found a good job in the Ukraine. I have gave some real thought about retiring there. I am retired army and have a good army pension check and can live ok there just on my pension.

I would like any help you can give about finding a job there and getting a lonterm visa of some type?

Thanks

David

I do not understand. Do you want a job just only for obtaining a one year visa? Or you do want to find a real job there?

Hi guys my experience, if you rent apartment in kiev it's little bit higher  from 1000 usd or you could get a little cheaper than that for a 1 room apartment,but if you try to rent to other city you can economize, like living 10 kilometers away from kiev, try to get apartment from Irpin, aparments alot cheaper  300 $ for 1 room apartment, but if you plan to get bigger room then rent 2 room apartment for 400 $ a month.Food is cheap, except banana and meat it's too expensive compare to my homeland. Electric bill it is cheap i pay 90 UAH.In philippines my monthly bill for electric 250$ a month my phone more than 100$ so, it is big difference. The internet connection is good, i 've got my internet from BEST it is cheap 80 uah a month, the transportation is cheap if you ride to mini bus from Irpin to kiev it's 6 to 7 UAH. If you dont want public transport you can try to rent a car, actually the prices of rent a car it depends to what kind of car, they have chevrolet 40 to 50 $ a day. In the beginning you could rent for 20$ a day. It really depends to what car you like. The mitsubishi it's starting from 60$ a day, i rented Ford Focus from 70 $ a day.. If you want subway it is 2 UAH ONLY. There's also hotel in center of Irpin from 400 uah. But there's another hotel named korchmea 300$ a day. Food in this restaurant is cheap and taste good they served big meat i ordered for 2 person and i payed 300 UAH. There's also fancy apartment and hotel in Irpin just like in kiev, maybe the difference just it's not that crowd like in Kyiv, but if you plan just for a cheap stay then try Irpin. Place in Irpin i think it's clean than in kyiv, lots of woods , clean air, no traffic.

If want fancy accomodation in the woods try Grand Admiral Club. http://admiralclub.com.ua

I meant the hotel in korchmea  Irpin is 300UAH a day. The cost of living in Ukraine it is really depend to your lifestyle, if you want fancy then pay more. In far village like in Kamyanets old villagers could live with 90 USD each of them, because they owned apartments, they have farm and they only pay their little electric bill they don't need fancy things.Most young stays in Kyiv,leaving their old parents because of boredom.In Ukraine there is always white salary and black salary.So, you guys wonder how they lived with small small earnings, eventhough you see some of them got car, eating good in fancy restaurants, got a beautiful shoes, clothes and so on... It is because they actually earned more than what it is written in their account. Programmers earn more than 3,000 USD a month that's black salary and they have usually 700 UAH or less than that as white salary. The starter for programmer is around 2, 500 USD. If too skilled they could even offer 4,000 USD a month this is what I know.

Well, actually speaking about the cost of renting an apartment in Kiev this article may be useful:
http://urw-ukraine.com/districts

It provides information about advantages and disadvantages of each Kiev district and the table with average prices for renting an apartment per month in each of the districts.

Hi CraigAlin
I want to move to Poltava but I like the prices where you live in karlivka , can you give me address or phone number of real estate there
regards

(moderated: please post your advert in the Ukraine classifieds. Thank you)

I am planning to move to Kharkov to study medicine. I am thinking of opening a small business, something like subway restaurant to pay for my tuition and expenses. I have $20,000 in cash. Is this a good idea?

Malikom, if you plan on starting a brick and mortar business in Ukraine you better find yourself a Ukrainian partner or you'll be giving your $20,000 away to the local crooks. I've already been through this three years ago.

There is a previous post where the guy has to live on $8,000 to $12,000 a month. I'd like to know what royal court you are living in because I'm in Ukraine six weeks out of every year and I don't spend $3,000 in six weeks let alone what you pay a month.