Visas for moving to Thailand

We are under 50 years old and would like to retire to Thailand. We are confused about the Visa situation and whether we will be able to move there. Can anyone help?

Lucky for you this question has been asked many many times. JW

You cannot "retire" to Thailand using the O Visa(obtained in your country) retirement extension(obtained in Thailand) or by applying for an O-A Visa if you are under 50.

Long term you could apply for an O visa (multi entry)this affords a maximum stay of 15 months but you have to exit Thailand ever 3 months(90 days)this is often refered to as a visa run to a neighbouring country like Cambodia. After 15 months you need to get a new multi entry O visa (home country is best-but they can be obtained at Royal Thai Embassies in Asia).

I strongly recommend you visit my blog www.thailand-blogs.com which has all the info you require under the various tabs.

Regards

Mike

My understanding is that you have to be 50 years and over. Have financial proof of 800,000 baht which must be put into a Thai bank account. You can spend this money once apporoval is given, but have to top it up again 3 months before renewal

janjarvis wrote:

My understanding is that you have to be 50 years and over. Have financial proof of 800,000 baht which must be put into a Thai bank account. You can spend this money once apporoval is given, but have to top it up again 3 months before renewal

This is partly true but the original OP is under 50 and was seeking advice on what visa they should get.

You do not actually need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank, it is one route,  but there are two others regarding income.

There is another possibility to stay in Thailand for long time. The name is Student Visa. Easy to get it, just every year have to pay the study fee and extend the study permit. I work in a language school, if You or anybody need information about student visa, just let me know, I will be glad to help!

My understanding is that the student visa requires only a minimum of 4 hours per week..  Many  expats study Thai here, and can do so, for multiple years.  You can study other subjects, too.