Want to open a Restaurant in Saudi Arabia

Assalamualaikum,

I want to open a restaurant in saudi (could be in Riyadh,Jeddah,Makkah or taif). What is the procedure for it? how much amount would i need to set it all up? Do i need to have a saudi partner compulsory? What documents should i be required ?

Regards
Syed

Can any one help in guiding the formalities required for opening a new restaurant in Kingdom of Saudia, particularly with reference to approvals, licenses and clearances required from various Government agencies, including Ministries, Muncipality, Health Department etc. Rgds

Have you written a detailed business plan?
ie what type of restaurant? Who are your target customers? What price range? Is there car-parking/transport links? Staff? How man, what nationality?
A lot will depend on how much capital you have. How much capital do you have to bank-roll the business until it gets established and makes a profit. Don't forget rising services charges - electricity/water etc. Do a search to ensure that your area is not going to be affected soon by a - for example - a new road that could limit business.

Yes every thing catered for. Right now I am interested to find the approvals, and licenses required from various Government functionaries. If you can help me in that please

mubashir.ahmed wrote:

Can any one help in guiding the formalities required for opening a new restaurant in Kingdom of Saudia, particularly with reference to approvals, licenses and clearances required from various Government agencies, including Ministries, Muncipality, Health Department etc. Rgds

The paper work depends on how you are opening it - from your side as foreign investor or with the a local partner. If as foreign investor you will go throuh SAGIA and you can get to know more details from SAGIA website.

If going via local sponsor , then you need to get first CR, License from Ministry of Commerce. This alone is hectic since if its hotel you need clearance from municipality in terms of location, space, kitchen arrangements, bank account details etc etc. Once this is secured you will open the place and will await inspection from Baladiya. Once approved you can start functioning.

Wont we need clearance from Ministry of Health
Rgds

You are opening a hotel, not a health facility. Baladiya will take care of the health related issues, where you cant get the baladiya card for your staff unless they do the medical tests.

SAGIA and CR stands for what @hrguru? Just for my education😀

SAGIA - Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority - body that looks after the licensing of foreign investments

CR - Commercial Registration

If you are trying to go via SAGIA way, hire a lawyer to do all for you.

If you are moving ahead with a local guy option, he is supposed to know all as he'll be the owner; and will get you through all the formalities.

HRGuru wrote:

SAGIA - Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority - body that looks after the licensing of foreign investments

CR - Commercial Registration

Thanks!

syedali wrote:

Assalamualaikum,

I want to open a restaurant in saudi (could be in Riyadh,Jeddah,Makkah or taif). What is the procedure for it? how much amount would i need to set it all up? Do i need to have a saudi partner compulsory? What documents should i be required ?

Regards
Syed

This kind of business is restricted to citizens .

Clearance from Ministry of Health was the most difficult part to start a restaurant in Kingdom of Bahrain. And I have been told by people dealing in restaurants , that it is also required in the Kingdom of Saudia. So please if you are sure it is not required, kindly confirm. Rgds

Hello,

I am interested to know if you managed to open your restaurant. Would it be possible to talk to you to know more about your experience?

Thanks a lot

Opining a restaurant is really a good business, however, the success of it depends on the location and the quality of your food, (how can you make yours distinctive from other) + attractive commutation to retain your clients.

I am more specifically interested in understanding which kinds of licenses are required, as well as the hygien requirements and legal obligations for restaurant owners. It would be great if someone had information on that.

Saudi Food and Drug Authority monitors the food hygiene. There are regular inspections carried out by them to ensure quality. You may check their website.