The other side of the Saudi postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Saudi Arabia, how would you describe the two sides of your Saudi postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Ummmm not real sure there are 2 sides to the postcard. At least not for women.

Life is hard and you do not have the freedoms that you have in other more western countries, which even from just the media I knew before coming here. Like having to wear an abaya and possibly covering your head, not being able to drive, and having to have an entry/exit visa every time you travel even with a residency card.

Things people need to definitely know is that getting things shipped reliably and for a decent price is very difficult, that there are no physical addresses only PO Boxes (at least in Jeddah), & that the drivers here are possibly the worst in the world (I say they are 100% worse then the taxi drivers in Las Vegas who I never had a high opinion of after living in the city for 12 years).