If you are searching for work remember

I have recently been looking through the job ads on the forum for a friend.  I have noticed many people advertising themselves as looking for work.

One thing I have noticed is the language.

Everybody, please do not take this the wrong way but can I make a suggestion that will hopefully help with your job search:

Please be careful to check your grammar and English when posting your details.  I have been an employer and I can honestly tell you that a badly written CV or profile can mean you are instantly dismissed as a possible candidate for employment.

This is because an employer will read your profile and decide that if you cannot even take the time to ensure your details are presented correctly in order to get a job, how can they rely on you to do the actual job properly.

I am not posting this in order to complain or chastise anybody, but purely to try and help ( nor because I teach English - grin).  I know how difficult it is to find work in Malta (I really do) so anything that can help you shine above other candidates can be useful.

Good luck in  your job search and I wish everybody well.

Jules :D

good one!!

Nicely put Jules.....

May I suggest that the Maltese (English language versions) take note of your advice?
I also suggest that you check your own prose for grammatical validity too; before posting it.
(You are missing a few question marks.)  ;)

Also, whilst you may have instantly dismissed someone for not completing their application to your standards, many others may not. The basis for making that decision would also depend upon the job, the employer, what part of the process the applicant was at and what document was being submitted.

One also has to consider applicants whose first language may not be English and applicants with communications difficulties or other disability which may impact upon their communication skills.

Thank you for pointing out the missing punctuation.  Just for the record, I agree that there is more to somebody than their grammar.  First and foremost, the ability to communicate effectively and fluently is definitely more important in day to day living.  However, should the job demand it, then grammar will also become important.  The points you make are valid and dependant on the situation.

I personally havenŽt rejected anybody because of their bad grammar, but the position did not require an 'A' level in English Language.  I do feel that if you wish to stand out above other applicants, you should be seen to be making the effort to do so.

My posting was merely to try and help people in their search from the starting point.  Sadly, even a little help these days appears to need the ŽcritiqueŽof others rather than possible further offers that may help people.

I thank you for your feedback.

I used to be a regular visitor to this forum but found it had become less helpful and more of a battlefield.  After a break for some time and recently reading through some of the threads, it appears nothing has changed!

:(

Jules, I couldn't agree more with you about the irritating tendency of a member on this blog to critique postings,  it's very off putting  :(  and as a result I  now rarely bother to post either.   Do you remember those 'goldfish' earrings that you posted about many years ago when  you were a new comer to the blog and planning your trip to Malta with your 'menagerie' - those were the good old days before this 'inspector tone' dominated the blog  :)

Such a shame some people have no sense of humour. ;)
It is, also, very irritating when a member continues to demonstrate a tendency to continue to single out another for criticism and continues to do so, even after 'behind the scenes' conversations.
The rest of the comments were in response to the original poster, to encourage consideration of context and to encourage consideration of some who may not be as gifted as she/he is. Let's face it, Malta has a lot do regarding anti discrimination practises.
I don't expect everyone to understand that though.  ;)

lucyanya wrote:

My posting was merely to try and help people in their search from the starting point.  Sadly, even a little help these days appears to need the ŽcritiqueŽof others rather than possible further offers that may help people.

I thank you for your feedback.

I used to be a regular visitor to this forum but found it had become less helpful and more of a battlefield.  After a break for some time and recently reading through some of the threads, it appears nothing has changed!

:(

I am sorry you feel that way because my post was to add to yours and an attempt at some humour whilst also pointing out that if one gives advice of this nature then one should also be correct in what one posts.

I could not ignore the incongruity; it was you (who tutors English) who posted 'Please be careful to check your grammar and English when posting your details.' You also emphasised the importance of presenting details correctly etc.

My response was also an attempt to 'contextualise'; an attempt to put the spontaneous advice offered into some sort of frame. It was also to encourage others to consider the fact that some applicants may have some issues which impact upon their ability to communicate.

I would also suggest that some postings that you refer to as 'battlefields' usually arise because incorrect advice is being given, by some who have no knowledge of life on Malta or by 'trolls' or 'spammers' who should be identified and eradicated for the good of the blog. Before distress comes to those who may have followed such incorrect advice.

:sleep

rooikat wrote:

:sleep

:D

"Let's face it, Malta has a lot do regarding anti discrimination practises."

:top: Could this be the understatement of the year...grin

:par:

lucyanya wrote:

"Let's face it, Malta has a lot do regarding anti discrimination practises."

:top: Could this be the understatement of the year...grin

:par:

yes, that was intentionally ironic.