Canadian looking to invest/move to Belize

Hi every one, I'm new to this site and would love some advice.
I am looking for mid term investment opportunities in Belize. Property now and perhaps to purchase a business down the road.
My time frame to 'retire' to Belize is 7-8 years but in the mean time, if I find a property that I can set up my aged folks in, well that would be a bonus (even though I'd probably have to trick them into moving!)
I've been looking at the Sanctuary Belize properties and of course have some reservations. Mainly will the project ever get completed and will there be infrastructure in place to service the community. I have a tour planned in early Feb.
I've also been considering the offering by the Placencia Group. I am concerned about what sort of impact that Norwegian Cruise Lines will have on the community/property values. I've read that the impact on Roatan was largely negative when they were placed in a similar situation.
I believe that this area's value as a destination is hinging on the completion of the new airport. I understand that the work has commenced, any body got any new info?/
I've also been considering Ambergris Caye but I'm leery of the accessibility.
Any sort of feed back would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a bunch!
Sam

Sam,
  I read your post, I have a piece of property outside of Dangriga, Commerce Bight area. Partially finished. Can be done to your specifications. It is located on Viviun AD 269883. It is 1.1.acres right on the water with water and electric right there and quiet area. They're looking to expand and develop the pier area with a strong desire to improve the employment status, but maintain cultural heritage and history.
There is new people elected in their senate and city councils who are determined to make it a better place throughout the country.
let me know if you're interested and we can talk further. There is a small hospital right in Dangriga and a larger one in Belize City.
I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Kevin McNamara

Hello Sam,
         sanctuary  has been renamed "the reserve".    talk to an existing property owner before making any commitment..    There are many improvements at Belize international airport(BZE).    have seen no sign of work at the "new" airport for several years.  the terminal building frame work looks terminally ill.
      If you are able to visit in February for several weeks you will have a better grasp of conditions and opportunities.  Use a Belize attorney for any property transaction.
   Good Luck.

Hi Sam,
Not sure what your accessibility concern is for Ambergris. Multiple flights or water taxis go there per day from multiple points in Belize as well as Chetumal MX.

As for the airport in Placencia, I haven't seen any progress there. It would be very challenging to get major international carriers to sign up for that route. And there's not enough infrastructure there to support it at this point.  Tropic and Maya haven't even moved there. The only flights to land there that I've heard about were private jets for government meeting in 2014.

I don't want to dissuade you from bringing your folks, just pointing out that many people come to Belize to retire but there's usually a point where health issues get to a point that people leave. Basic medical care is okay but advanced or emergency care.....not so much. Also, accessibility challenges occur just climbing down the stairs of the plane or climbing the stairs to elevated housing. Few elevators exist and walkways often have holes, unexpected steps or other obstacles. Kinda wild Wild West down here still.  :)

It's great that you are coming down to see for yourself.

So... do you guys realize that Sam posted that in Jan of 2014? Just sayin'

funny, karenjoe.  guess they look a the post clearly.

I lived in Belize for 6 years and still have 27 acres in the South near Punta Gorda where I'm starting a housing development with community center, BBQ area and future swimming pool. This project is being marketed as a retirement development for expats such as ourselves. There is also opportunity for investment and I have information as well.

Obviously didn't notice or I wouldn't have responded, but now I feel like an ass. Thanks for that.

Well, KevinMac responded without looking at the date, and Belizeboy responded to him, and you responded to them... I wouldn't feel bad about it.