The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Belize

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Belize. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Belize?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

All of them. jobs in Belize are low paid and in short supply if you are looking to expt to Belize and need to make your living there, then you need to bring a lot of cash and find a gap in the market to set up in business. with a national poor population of less than most medium US cities, them spread out of 5 areas. Good well paying jobs will go to their own educated people, many of whom seem to share 5 surnames.

Hello everyone! We would love to know if there is a demand for a handyman. My husband is a jack-of-all-trades! He has extensive carpentry and mechanical skills. We are Canadians and planning to move to Corozal area by 2019, and we'd appreciate any response. Thanks!

JRW wrote:

Hello everyone! We would love to know if there is a demand for a handyman. My husband is a jack-of-all-trades! He has extensive carpentry and mechanical skills. We are Canadians and planning to move to Corozal area by 2019, and we'd appreciate any response. Thanks!

it simply does not matter if there is a demand for a skill in Belize. a quick search on this forum will show you with a few tiny exceptions, jobs in Belize are for Belizeans, not for tourist.

Thank you for your reply. He was hoping to start a business there and employ Belizean residents. I guess we will find out once we are settled.

JRW wrote:

Thank you for your reply. He was hoping to start a business there and employ Belizean residents. I guess we will find out once we are settled.

That is quite different than the previous post, and is allowed. I suggest a search of these forums as these and many other topics are covered over and over again.

I also suggest renting for a while and exploring several areas of this very diverse country before making any expensive long term decisions. As others have said, there is no substitute for your own sandals in the sand.

Apologies, I should have specified. I've scrolled through other blogs and have found the info I need. Thank you for your time and knowledge. Much appreciated.

We also plan to rent long term and spend time there this year in preparation for next year. Thanks again!

JRW
Welcome to Belize now or in 2019. There are some very informative answers on the site that are helpful in understanding the job process.
If I find one I will post it back to you.
Nutshell
Establishing residency getting a work permit is a lengthy process, with determination and good resources...it can be done. A skill that can be performed by a Belizian will go to a Belizian.
Skills like your husbands, start networking now.
FB, LinkedIn, MeetUp, etc. word of mouth from your community.
The ministry will look to see that you have $$ enough to sustain yourself (without a local job) first or many bring their remote jobs with them.
Hope this is helpful.

Great information thank you!

I am curious what the IT job market is like? Anyone in the industry living in Belize now that can share some insight? When I come down, I will be keeping my job and working remote, but Id be interested to see what was in demand locally.

IT would be good, but you'll need to start a business and have to get a work permit to do so. Being willing to hire and train Belizeans for your business will go a long way in getting your work permit approved. Same goes for carpentry skills.

What is the availability of casual work for expats? I'm thinking of jobs like working behind a bar, as a waiter in a restaurant or something like fruit picking?

Sorry the chance of casual work for Expats is ZERO,  Your tourist 30 day visa is very specific about NO EMPLOYMENT. Also the  jobs you mention are most likely filled with minimum wage positions. That minimum wage is $3 Bze per hour, That means $1.50 US.

How is it engineering there? Energy, electromechanics, hydraulic,..
Is there any good opportunity in there?

I'm not sure on this. I would imagine that if you are very knowledgeable, you may be able to find and in, but it's probably a tremendous pay cut depending on where you're coming from.

Thnx buddy.. I'm not seeking to make a fortune or something like that. I only seek to fulfill my goals and practise my passion (engineering) in there and help develop industry activity. I'm wondering if it will be a struggling life or no but alot of ppl adviced me to go there.. Wht do u guys think?

To work in Belize you need a work permit, there is no guarantee you can get one if you contact a Belize engineering firm, and they offer you a position then they will be able to procure the work permit. A good hourly salary in Belize is considered anything over $12bze per hour so that is $6 us.
Without a job offer and help from an employer you can get a self employed work permit, but this permit does not mean you can apply for any jobs you see advertised, as it says it is for self employment ergo you would have to set up a business to offer your skills as a contractor.
Employment for Expats is extremely difficult to obtain, all Belize companies can only employ an expat if there are no Belize Applicants for any given position.
If you come to Belize and go the route to permanent resident this entails showing up every 30 days to the immigration office to extend the original30 day tourist visa for a further 30 days. The first 6 months this is at a fee of $50 bze after then it becomes $100bze every month. After 12 months residing in country to you can apply for residency, during the 12 month period you are allowed to be out of Belize for no more than an accumulated 14 days.
My son has just received his permanent residency, 2 and a half years after his initial application. This seems to be the average wait time at present. Even after the application goes in you have to continue to visit immigration every 30 days and pay the fee.
Belize is (in my view) a wonderful place to live but unless you have some way of having an on line job that will pay you from outside of Belize, employment is not an easy option. The vast majority of expats either run their own Businesses, work on line, or are retired and living off their overseas pensions.

Thanks terrific.. I'll keep digging a bit more and maybe i can find a way or another to live there..

Hi!
Would you know about any local staffing agencies? I could not find any information online.  Is there any structured employment market in Belize?

No. As noted above, there's very little available to expats without starting your own business.

Hello anyone living in Belize.  We currently live in the Caribbean and have lived on multiple islands. I am a highly trained and experienced automotive technician my speciality is diagnostics and I have the best computers including dealer tools for most vehicles. I would like to come to Belize and start a business of-course local jobs will be made available.  Is there a need for a auto diagnostic business? I do not do repairs as such like oil changes an so on. I only do diagnostics and go to different garages then do the diagnostics after they have put all the new parts the "codes" show and car is still not repaired. I can also code new car keys and such. Any input welcomed.

Hi
It sounds that what one needs is to startup something that can employ local folks, my passion is renewable energy Solar, wind, solar hot water heating and Solar water purification. I would love to come to Belize to make this type of contribution. What are the electrical and plumbing regulations like.
Working with a engineer like you self might work.

timtim24 wrote:

Hello anyone living in Belize.  We currently live in the Caribbean and have lived on multiple islands. I am a highly trained and experienced automotive technician my speciality is diagnostics and I have the best computers including dealer tools for most vehicles. I would like to come to Belize and start a business of-course local jobs will be made available.  Is there a need for a auto diagnostic business? I do not do repairs as such like oil changes an so on. I only do diagnostics and go to different garages then do the diagnostics after they have put all the new parts the "codes" show and car is still not repaired. I can also code new car keys and such. Any input welcomed.

Belize is a very low tech country, your tools and experiance would gather dust here. As long as a car runs, no one cares how many codes or lights are on.  I take black tape with me when I rent. A Car to cover the check engine light I know will be on. Otherwise some are so bright they blind you at night,

Lots of shade tree mechinics seem to be able to keep theing more or less running. Getting parts is a chore, and high import duties mean many things are never replaced. The electroning displays and bells and whistles die an early death from the salt air, dust and rough roads/speed bumps, but the shade tree folks keep the drive train operating.

The mechanic we use who Magically keeps our vehicles running got a machine from the US to read the check engine light codes, but he uses it to switch off those lights as that is the most requested thing he gets.

@JRW
Hi. I read your post and was wondering how things worked out for you? I am a handyman myself I'm Michigan and my soon to be wife loves the ocean and the beach. Did you have any success starting your business in Belize? If so, are you interested in hiring an experienced American handyman? I've been self employed for 10 years. All residential but have some commercial construction experience also. We have a 6 year old son. They are Ukranian and I'm 8n the process of getting them to America. They are actually in Poland right now because of the war. I guess I'm just dreaming, I do that, but if I could tell her we are moving to Belize when you get to the U.S., I think she would cry tears of joy for the first time in a long time. I hope everything has worked out for you. I admire you for dreaming and then going after it. I don't seem to have the second part down yet but I am very good at the first lol
Stephen