Farming in belize

Hi,

We are thinking to start farming in Belize.

Does anyone know how to get started, is there minimum size of land required or any information would be helpful.

Many thanks!

YES I  HAVE BEEN FARMING HERE IN BELIZE ON AND OFF FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS, THERE ARE ONLY CERTAIN PLACES HERE YOU CAN FARM BECAUSE OF IGUANAS , LIZARDS , BUGS THE SIZE OF A BASE BALL , FUNGUS, MY LAST PLACE I FARMED WAS IN HOPKINS I SPENT $1500. DOLLARS BUILDING A SCREENED IN GREEN HOUSE , WITH DRIP IRRIGATION, GREW EVERY THING  EVEN THOUGH MY GREEN HOUSE WAS TOTALLY ENCLOSED , BUGS NOT SO MUCH BUT THE IGUANAS, LIZARDS, AND THE SUCH , DUG HOLES INTO THROUGH THE BOTTOM AND CAME UP , AFTER TWO SEASONS GAVE UP, BUT JUST TWO MILES AWAY FROM THE SEA  IN THE BUSH BUT CLEARED FARM LAND I GREW 15 ACRES OF THESES SPECIAL PUMPKINS WITH SUCCESS , POINT IS YES YOU CAN FARM ANY WHERE BUT ONLY CERTAIN PLACES .

thanks for the response.

we are looking forward to farming in spanish lookout area.

YES  THATS THE PLACE BUT IF YOU DO NOT BELONG TO THE CHURCH , YOU CAN NOT LIVE IN , WHAT IS CALLED SPANISH LOOK OUT PROPER, THERE ARE MANY FARMS AND LAND JUST OUT SIDE THE AREA, I HEARD A WHILE BACK OF SOME ACRE LOTS FOR $75,000.U.S.D, BUT THINGS CHANGE EVERY DAY. HERE.

Correct, if not Christian one can't buy land. Only choice outskirts of spanish lookout area. Talked to an agent and he said 80 K USD for an acre, I know the price is way too much inflated and also the title of the land will take years to transfer. Did you also come cross this type?

ITS A MENNONITE CHURCH, DIFFERENT THAN A REGULAR CHRISTIAN CHURCH , VERY STRICT, IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THEIR CHURCH , YOU HAVE TO APPLY THEN IT COULD TAKE 6 MONTHS , THEY WILL INVESTIGATE YOU, AND YOURS IF MARRIED... THE PRICE OF LAND IN BELIZE IS GONE CRAZY, MOSTLY GREED, BUT ALSO REPLACEMENT VALUE, A LOT OF PEOPLE PAYING IT , TITLED LAND TO TRANSFER TAKES A WEEK OR SO MOST OF THE TIME.....DEPENDING WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO FARM , THERE IS NOT MUCH MONEY HERE IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO SELL ANY QUANTITY OF PRODUCE, I TAKES A WEEK TO SELL A SMALL PICK UP FULL OF OF CARROTS AT A DOLLAR A POUND.THE SAME AS ANY THING ELSE, THIS A VERY POOR COUNTRY.TO EXPORT ANY THING , THE USDA HAS A LOT OF RULES , WHAT PESTICIDES AND FUNGICIDES AND ANY THING ELSE YOU MIGHT USE , YOU CAN COMPANION PLANT BUT VERY EXPENSIVE.

yeah rightly said.

not much things to do here, hard to imagine how people survive here.

people just want to eat meat here, hardly any fruits/vegetables.

since you are already farming, could you please tell me how do i need to apply for farming at labor department? is there a minimum size of land set for farming?

Hi everyone,

@exscape 2018,  welcome to Expat.com

Could you please avoid posting in caps lock on the forum.

Thank you

Chris
Expat.com

ska8er47499 wrote:

not much things to do here, hard to imagine how people survive here.

people just want to eat meat here, hardly any fruits/vegetables.

I am not sure if you are trying to make a joke and I missed the punch line, or if the area you are in is a lot different than the Stann Creek district when it comes to fruits/vegetables??????

Not a joke, just the reality.

All the areas in Belize are more or less the same in terms of fruits/vegetables.

The point is- fruits/vegetables imported from USA/Mexico or grown in Belize, the price is same.

ska8er47499 wrote:

Not a joke, just the reality.

All the areas in Belize are more or less the same in terms of fruits/vegetables.

The point is- fruits/vegetables imported from USA/Mexico or grown in Belize, the price is same.

Gee I hope the proprietors of the five fruit/vegetable stands in Placencia we shop at don't read this......

Well the San Ignatio market always has a good selection, and to a lesser extent so does Belmopan .
Just remember all Local fruit and veg are always seasonal, so might reduce the selection from what you would expect to get in a bigger country.

I moved to Merida from Belize some months ago. In Belize what  I found was that many newcomers reveal expectations of "fresh fruit and vegetables and a "healthier life style" Truly fresh produce is available only if you grow your own. To do this you will wage war with the ants and many other insects over your crop. Fresh depends on where you live. In Corozal, the trucks come from Mexico 2 x a week with produce that was picked many days earlier. The rare fresh California peach or plum was up to $7 BZ.However having explored markets all over Belize I found  that things like genuine home grown and fresh tomatoes were not readily available. Watermelon papaya, cantalope, mango, avocado, bananas, pineapple, plantains, rice, sugar cane, oranges, limes, onions, marijuana and red potatoes were grown in Belize all in their own season.The potatoes had black dots in them. The garlic is imported from China.

excellent response i farmed in  Belize also for many years i   had exactly the same findings, but things have taken a turn for the worse and nobody seems to care , that is GMO, crops now here, i had a semi ripe tomato sit on my counter for three months , i gave it to the critters, beans , brown , black and others, evidence says some not all Mennonite farms are using GMO, because they save dollars not having to use pesticides and herbicides,  the PM banned glyophosfate , roundup, you can still buy it  many places, very evil stuff.

Thanks, any information from the labor department is a pain here.

thinking to start in spanish lookout