What's the difference between an investor status and self-employeed?

Hi,

Can someone please tell me the difference between investor and self-employed status? What is the requirement to be self-employeed? Does it have to be in a specific feild of interest?

Thank you

Hi,

There is no specific field but you must provide details about your business project such as proposed investment level, amount to be transferred to Mauritius and expected annual business turnover/income. You will also need to register with the Registrar of Companies.

The initial minimum investment amount and annual turnover required are lower as compared to an investor permit but you will not be able to employ people.

Thank you. Now I understand

Hallo,
As an Investor you will need to show to BOI that you have contributed =>$100k USD through either business set up or acquisition of existing business.
Anton

Let me add my two pence worth.. and this is essential to understand the difference between investor and self-employed.

Investor: relates to business in general, includes commercial, manufacturing, goods and services, etc.

Self-employed: this is related to PROFESSION. If there is a serious commercial component therein, the BOI will ask you to incorporate a company and apply for investor instead.

The above is fundamental, as you can see.  Else, everybody would have done business through the Self-employed and avoid the heavy conditions of investor.  It doesn't simply relate to investment and minimum turnover.

Legal point: the investor enjoys limited liability, through his company.  The Self-employed has no limited liability protection, he is both the business and the business-owner (no veil of incorporation).

Hope these info help!