Housemaid

Once we move into our permanent accommodation (hopefully early next month), we will need to employ the services of a part-time maid, probably on the basis of 3 half days/week. Can someone please advise on the best way to go about this here (i.e. check supermarket notice boards; recommendations; an agency; wait for someone to knock on your door etc) and also the going hourly rate.

Regards.

If you move into a compound your door will be knocked on within minutes.

Lots advertise in hypermarkets but I think the best way is on Mums in Bahrain Facebook page. Reason is that it's the lady of the house recommending them so you already have a reference.

BD2.5 -BD3 an hour max. Most will take BD2

Thanks Jo. We are moving into a villa out with a compound, so will take a look at your recommended Facebook page.

Let me know if you get stuck and I will help you out

Thanks again Jo, always very welcome to have someone as helpful and accommodating as yourself when you move to a new location.

Thanks. Moving is hard work locally never mind overseas

Yep and we've done it about a dozen times and each time it just becomes more of a pain in the touche 😁

Hi:  My housekeeper is very good.  She is not the fastest, but she is 100% trustworthy and very thorough.  She has worked for me for about one year - three days per week.  She is looking for extra days work.  I pay her 2 BD per hour.  In addition to doing the housework, she is also an excellent cook - and either cooks meals for me or does the mise-en-place for dinner.  She also does the ironing very well.  She can only work in certain areas because of her transport limitations -- Juffair, Adliya, Um Al Hasssam, Salmaniya, Mahooz and nearby areas.  I don't know if she can go to Saar.  She also can't work in a house with dogs, but she is very good with cats.  If you are interested, I will pass you her mobile number.

Thanks Chacha_saywhat, we are actually going to be living in Budaiyah so transport might well be a problem, but if we have an issue finding someone I'll get back to you, so we can then explore her possible availability.

There are lots of maids with own transport being advertised online. One maid I know personally, she is live out, she has her own car and she is very good and reliable. She lives in the Sar area so not too far from you. If you want her details then please let me know. Alternatively is to look in hypermarkets like previously stated. Always check the maids visa as she will have to have her own visa. When you are sponsored by a Saudi company it is very hard to have a maid/houseboy sponsored by you as the company have to do it and they are reluctant to do so.

Be careful, get references and check with us if you struggle with anything

Hi everybody,

Do you have an idea regarding the procedure if we decide to bring the nanny of our children with us to Bahrain ?

Thanks in advance.

Naourez

Procedure to bring down domestic help is:

1) Apply and get a work permit.
2) Apply and get a visa.
3) Once in Bahrain, get a residence permit and Bahrain ID card (called "CPR Card").

In order to do all the above, you will have to get to Bahrain and regularize your own visa and residency status. This is because, you will be sponsoring your kid's nanny and in order to do that your own residency and visa status have to be sorted out first.

The other way is for you to request your employer to arrange for your nanny's work permit and visa, but most employers do not do this generally.

NAOUREZ wrote:

Hi everybody,

Do you have an idea regarding the procedure if we decide to bring the nanny of our children with us to Bahrain ?

Thanks in advance.

Naourez

It depends on where your families visa is sponsored. If you live in Bahrain but are sponsored by a Saudi company then the rules are totally different.

I would suggest speaking to your HR department as a lot of visa laws changed very recently

Thank you for your quick reply :)

My husband will work in Bahrain and we will join him in few months.

Your husband will get his CPR first and then you and your children will follow. You then have to apply for a maids visa (about BD500 - 600 a year) depending on which officer is on duty at the time. Do not pay more than BD600. You will have to wait until you are here unless you get your CPR's before you come (which is possible)

The cost of the work permit and, subsequently, of the visas did not exceed BD100 when i got my housemaid down. Each stage costs about BD25 from what I recollect.  I will double check with my visa guy and get the correct fees.

From my experience, huge sums of money are involved only if you get a housemaid from a manpower supplier - something I avoid as a matter of personal choice.

Sorry I was quoting the price for a "Free" Maid visa and not a sponsored one - DUH

Thanks for your help :)

Naourez